If you’re a writer of all things poetic, you’ll want to check this out. The New York Public Library is hosting it’s first ever national poetry contest.
But you only have until March 10 to enter, so hurry up (because the rules are a little confusing)!
In its quest to “[i]nspire lifelong learning, advance knowledge [and] strengthen communities,” the New York Public Library (NYPL) is hosting a poetry contest this month on Twitter.
The rules to participate are a tad confusing, but first thing’s first. If you want to participate, step one is to REGISTER HERE.
Step two: Follow @NYPL (or your entries won’t count).
Step three: Are you a U.S. resident, 13 years and older residing in the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia? Because if all of that isn’t true, you can’t win – sorry. Maybe that should have been “step one.”
Once entered and followed and such, you’ll need to “submit three poetic Tweets in English as public posts on your Twitter stream between March 1 and 10, 2013. Three poetic Tweets constitute one entry and each poem must contain the @NYPL Twitter handle.”
And there’s more: “Two of the poems can cover any topic you choose, but at least one of the three poems needs to be about libraries, books, reading, or New York City.”
Please be sure your entries are “original, unpublished, and must not have won any award” or else they (and you) are again, ineligible.
You may submit one entry (which is three tweets) per day and they’ll be choosing a winner/winners by March 18, “based on originality, creativity, and artistic quality.” Learn more here.
What You Can Win
- Winning poems will be published on NYPL’s social media channels during National Poetry Month in April 2013 — reaching more than 1 million fans and followers!
- Winners will receive a free set of books by leading American poets including:
- Red Doc> by Anne Carson
- Quick Question: New Poems by John Ashbery
- Place: New Poems by Jorie Graham
- The Narrow Road to the Interior by Kimiko Hahn
- The Collected Poems of Lucille Clifton 1965-2010 by Lucille Clifton
- Winners may also be featured in a special edition NYPL Poetry eBook
Good luck! And please feel free to share a link to your entries in the comments!
(Image from nypl.org)
- NBC Running Twitter Sweepstakes For Its Fall TV Lineup
- Want To Read Some Great Poetry This Month? Follow @30Poets30Days
- Twitter Co-Founder Contender For 2013 #TIME100 List - And There's Still Time To Vote!
- AllTwitter Flash Fiction Contest For National Poetry Month #ATFF