Are you still using Posterous, the once-popular blogging platform that was acquired by Twitter in March of last year?
Even after we told you that the inevitable risk of closure meant that it was a really good idea to export your Posterous posts and start using another blogging platform back in December? And how Posterous had stopped accepting new sign-ups last month (which is and always has been startup shorthand for “KILL… ME…”)?
Well, you’re tenacious, we’ll give you that. But time is running out. Posterous have announced that they’re closing their blogging service for good on April 30, 2013, which means you have a little over two months to get your content off there and on to somewhere else.
Here’s the Posterous announcement:
Posterous launched in 2008. Our mission was to make it easier to share photos and connect with your social networks. Since joining Twitter almost one year ago, we’ve been able to continue that journey, building features to help you discover and share what’s happening in the world – on an even larger scale.
On April 30th, we will turn off posterous.com and our mobile apps in order to focus 100% of our efforts on Twitter. This means that as of April 30, Posterous Spaces will no longer be available either to view or to edit.
Right now and over the next couple months until April 30th, you can download all of your Posterous Spaces including your photos, videos, and documents.
And here’s what you need to do to move your Posterous content somewhere else (for example, Tumblr).
1. Go to http://posterous.com/#backup.
2. Click to request a backup of your Space by clicking “Request Backup” next to your Space name.
3. When your backup is ready, you’ll receive an email.
4. Return to http://posterous.com/#backup to download a .zip file.
If you’re using WordPress there’s an importer that can expedite this process.
Remember: you have until April 30 to get this done. Please don’t delay any longer.
- How To Use Data To Create A Fool-Proof Tweet Calendar
- Four Months Later, Vine Is Earning Its Keep [VIDEO]
- Twitter Makes It Easier Than Ever To Ditch The Egg Avatar [VIDEO]
- Twitter Business Tools, Tips And Tactics