The video, a roughly three-minute look at stats related to the digital age, is a really interesting and digestible snapshot of social media and its impact on our daily lives.
We’ve pulled out 11 of the most surprising fact mentioned in the video:
1. Facebook’s 1 billion members makes it the third largest country in the world (behind China and India).
2. Each day, 20% of Google searches have never been searched before.
3. Every second, 2 new members join LinkedIn.
4. That is the equivalent of the entire enrollment of the Ivy League joining LinkedIn every day.
5. Social gamers will buy $6 billion in virtual goods by the end of 2013, while moviegoers will buy only $2.5 billion in real goods.
6. Every minute, 72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube.
7. YouTube is the second largest search engine in the world.
8. 53% of people on Twitter recommend products in their tweets.
9. 90% of customers trust peer recommendations compared with 14% who trust advertising. (Psst, brand owners: you need a social media manager.)
10. New Yorkers received tweets about an East Coast earthquake 30 seconds before they actually felt it.
11. Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Katy Perry have more Twitter followers than the entire populations of Germany, Turkey, South Africa, Canada, Argentina and Egypt.
Pretty crazy, right?
Watch the full video for yourself, below:
(Shocked image from Shutterstock)
- The Top 25 Mobile Apps (Twitter is 14th, Behind Yahoo Weather) [STATS]
- U.S. Social Commerce - Statistics & Trends [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Who Follows the Most People on Twitter?
- Women Are Vastly Underrepresented in Silicon Valley Tech Jobs (Just 10% at Twitter)