Social media continues to expand at a rapid rate around the world, both in the total number of users and the arrival of different platforms that compete for their attention and loyalty.
This infographic courtesy of Shanghai Web Designers takes a (slightly dated) look at the world of social networking in 2011, ranking the top 10 sites by registered users, visitors and market share, and also provides data on platform specifics such as age restrictions, employees and supported languages.
- The estimated number of social networking users is now more than 940 million (note: actually more than a billion as Facebook has 750+ million users, and Twitter is now well above the listed 200 million)
- 70% of internet users are active on at least one social network
- 9 out of 10 marketers use social media to promote their business
Of note: Facebook’s ridiculous market share and the absence of Google+.
- Twitter Average Ad Rates Declined By 18% In Q4 2013, Down 81% Since Q1 2012 [STATS]
- Tweets About The Oscars Were Seen 3.3 Billion Times Worldwide [STATS]
- The 10 Most Popular People On Twitter [STATS]
- The Oscars Gobbles Up The Walking Dead In Top 10 Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings [CHART]