Katy Perry, who became the first Twitter user to reach 50 million followers in January of this year, maintains her position as the platform’s most-followed profile, with a lead well in excess of one million followers over second-placed (and former number one) Justin Bieber.
While the rest of the top 10 is unchanged, Taylor Swift has leap-frogged former Twitter queen Lady Gaga, who has dropped from first to fifth place in 18 months, which very much parallels her flagging pop career. Watch for Bieber to follow a similar trajectory over the next year or so.
Here’s the latest look at Twitter’s 10 most-popular individuals.
1. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 54,147,135 followers)
2. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 52,644,492)
3. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 43,877,602)
4. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 41,663,063)
5. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 41,576,569)
6. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 37,882,768)
7. Rihanna (@rihanna, 36,083,677)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 32,910,052)
9. Ellen Degeneres (@TheEllenShow, 29,537,545)
10. Jennifer Lopez (@JLo, 28,112,897)
(Source: Twitter Counter.)
- New York Fashion Week on Twitter: More Than 1.2 Million Tweets About #NYFW
- Twitter: More Than 2.4 Million Tweets About #AppleLive (Peaking at 32,305 TPM)
- 5 Crazy Ways Social Media is Changing Your Brain Right Now
- 81.9% of Social Shares Happen on Facebook (Twitter: 8.6%, Pinterest: 3%) [STUDY]