Katy Perry, who became the first Twitter user to reach 50 million followers in January of this year, maintains her position as the platform’s most-followed profile, with a lead well in excess of one million followers over second-placed (and former number one) Justin Bieber.
While the rest of the top 10 is unchanged, Taylor Swift has leap-frogged former Twitter queen Lady Gaga, who has dropped from first to fifth place in 18 months, which very much parallels her flagging pop career. Watch for Bieber to follow a similar trajectory over the next year or so.
Here’s the latest look at Twitter’s 10 most-popular individuals.
1. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 54,147,135 followers)
2. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 52,644,492)
3. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 43,877,602)
4. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 41,663,063)
5. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 41,576,569)
6. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 37,882,768)
7. Rihanna (@rihanna, 36,083,677)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 32,910,052)
9. Ellen Degeneres (@TheEllenShow, 29,537,545)
10. Jennifer Lopez (@JLo, 28,112,897)
(Source: Twitter Counter.)
- Twitter's Next Milestone: 300 Million Active Users Before 2015 [CHART]
- Twitter Diversity Statistics: 70% Male Globally, 59% White, 29% Asian in U.S. [REPORT]
- Millionaires Love Facebook, Ignore Twitter
- Facebook: 23% of all Social Traffic in June (Pinterest Dips, Twitter Flat at 1%) [STATS]