Way back in May 2011 – many, many moons ago in Twitter years – Lady Gaga became the first Twitter user to reach 10 million followers. Since then, she’s been joined by a number of other media luminaries, including such stalwarts as Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Shakira, Barack Obama and Kim Kardashian.
Since our last update, five new users have gained entry into Twitter’s 10 million club: Cristiano Ronaldo, Bruno Mars, Chris Brown, Jennifer Lopez and Pink, which brings this very exclusive membership to a total of twenty-four.
Twitter’s most-followed elite continues to skew heavily towards women, notably pop singers. Thirteen of the top twenty-four most followed users – and seven of the top ten – are female.
Ashton Kutcher, former Twitter number one and the first user to hit the one million follower mark, is now on the verge of going out of the top twenty – he should be caught and passed by Bruno Mars, and possibly Chris Brown, before the end of the year.
Aside from the official @Twitter account, only one brand – YouTube – has more than 10 million followers on the network.
Twitter’s top 20 most-followed users at the time of writing are:
- Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 28,396,513 followers)
- Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 26,624,135)
- Katy Perry (@katyperry, 25,052,788)
- Rihanna (@rihanna, 24,246,305)
- Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 19,494,044)
- Barack Obama (@barackobama, 18,558,686)
- Shakira (@shakira, 17,814,951)
- Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 17,450,767)
- Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian, 15,819,925)
- YouTube (@youtube, 15,097,658)
- Nicki Minaj (@nickiminaj, 14,163,715)
- Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 13,295,980)
- Oprah Winfrey (@oprah, 13,271,733)
- Ellen Degeneres (@theellenshow, 12,939,993)
- Twitter (@twitter, 12,597,250)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano, 12,384,643)
- Selena Gomez (@selenagomez, 12,347,574)
- Kaka (@kaka, 12,280,595)
- Marshall Mathers (@eminem, 12,037,838)
- Ashton Kutcher (@aplusk, 11,881,212)
- New York Fashion Week on Twitter: More Than 1.2 Million Tweets About #NYFW
- Twitter: More Than 2.4 Million Tweets About #AppleLive (Peaking at 32,305 TPM)
- 5 Crazy Ways Social Media is Changing Your Brain Right Now
- 81.9% of Social Shares Happen on Facebook (Twitter: 8.6%, Pinterest: 3%) [STUDY]