2012 was a huge year. What stood out for you? What did you talk about on Twitter?
As they did last year, Twitter has released a review of 2012 over on their official blog, which takes a closer look at the top tweets, trends, people and more from the past twelve months.
With the Olympics, Sandy, tweets from Mars and a U.S. presidential election, there’s certainly been a lot to talk about, and Twitter now plays a hugely significant – and important – role in this global conversation.
Every day, we’re amazed and humbled by the many ways in which people use Twitter, which range from simply retweeting to igniting conversations with hashtags (even around lesser-known topics) to sharing spectacular and far-flung views. In 2012, everyone on Twitter brought us closer to moments and places that used to be far away or inaccessible: A Tweet from the bottom of the ocean. Tweets from Mars. An extraordinary view from space of Superstorm Sandy. A quiet backstage moment with a presidential candidate. All of these and millions of other such moments were ours to experience directly wherever we were, in the midst of work or play or travel.
During big sporting events, fans were the roar of the crowd, tweeting their team passions. Commentators and armchair pundits alike took to Twitter to share their opinions, arguments and reactions throughout the campaigns, conventions, debates and on Election Day. Millions of music fans flocked to Twitter during the MTV Video Music Awards to tweet about the performances and react to winners and losers that night.
Head over to 2012.twitter.com for a look at the year’s biggest moments, including:
- Golden Tweets – the top five most retweeted posts of the year
- Pulse Of The Planet – the year’s most memorable conversations
- Only On Twitter – Twitter-specific highlights of 2012
- Top Trends – who and what captured our attention
- New Voices – the latest and greatest profiles of 2012
The Twitter team have also released this video which provides a nice snapshot of the year’s biggest moments.
What was your Twitter highlight of 2012? Hit the comments to let us know.
(Source: Twitter blog.)
- How Fast Can You Tweet?
- Here’s What Twitter, Instagram, Google, Spotify and Skype Would Have Looked Like in the 1980s
- Tweet-a-Program to Wolfram Alpha's @wolframtap and it Tweets Back The Result
- Twitter Bot is Helping to Shut Down Dirty Restaurants in Chicago