Music megastar Lady Gaga has become the first Twitter user to reach 20 million followers on the network, setting the record this past Saturday, March 3.
At her current speed Gaga should have added another million to her tally before the end of March.
Gaga’s closest competitor on Twitter is teenybopper Justin Bieber, who after narrowing the gap to about half a million users in April of last year, is now almost two million behind. Bieber is on track to reach 20 million followers by mid-April.
As we documented last month, ten Twitter users now have more than 10 million followers. At the time of writing, Twitter’s most-popular profiles are:
1. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 20,080,981)
2. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 18,096,095)
3. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 15,733,663)
4. Shakira (@shakira, 14,549,260)
5. Rihanna (@rihanna, 14,462,228)
6. Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian, 13,617,551)
7. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 13,592,052)
8. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 12,833,241)
9. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 11,462,051)
10. Selena Gomez (@selenagomez, 10,722,187)
(Chart credit: Twitter Counter.)
- Ellen's Oscar Selfie Is Now A Piece Of Art At Twitter HQ
- George Clooney: I Don't Tweet Because I Like To Have A Drink At Night
- Celebrities And Fans Pay Tribute To Uncle Phil On Twitter
- Justin Bieber Announces Retirement On Christmas Eve Via Twitter