Justin Bieber continues to reign supreme as the king of Twitter, with his more than 43 million followers still leaving him well clear of second-placed Katy Perry, who passed former long-term Twitter number one Lady Gaga last month.
Indeed, Perry has gained ground on Bieber in August, narrowing the gap between her and the coveted Twitter top spot by a couple of hundred thousand followers, but the 2.2 million gap is still a big ask. Bieber, meanwhile, remains on track to become the first Twitter user in history to reach 50 million followers, which he should reach by January of next year.
At current pace it will take Perry about a month longer to reach this level, but things change all the time on Twitter, with users moving in and out of popularity on a very regular basis. So watch this space.
In the meantime, here’s an updated look at Twitter’s 10 most-popular individuals.
1. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 43,391,940 followers)
2. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 41,174,004)
3. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 39,790,960)
4. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 35,474,800)
5. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 32,699,465)
6. Rihanna (@rihanna, 31,178,086)
7. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 30,763,252)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 24,357,522)
9. Jennifer Lopez (@JLo, 22,504,615)
10. Shakira (@shakira, 21,790,045)
(Source: Twitter Counter.)
- Twitter Diversity Statistics: 70% Male Globally, 59% White, 29% Asian in U.S. [REPORT]
- Millionaires Love Facebook, Ignore Twitter
- Facebook: 23% of all Social Traffic in June (Pinterest Dips, Twitter Flat at 1%) [STATS]
- Pinterest, Tumblr Drive More Website Traffic Than Twitter, Says StatCounter [STATS]