You may have noticed older tweets coming up in search since Twitter’s update last month and thought, “Wouldn’t it be nice to see top tweets that were most relevant to my search popping up first?”
Well, as Twitter is the nicest virtual place on Earth (yes, just like Disney World), they’ve updated their app with this ability – and a few more.
Twitter announced some updated app features today for both ”iOS and Android apps along with mobile.twitter.com to make it easier and faster to find and see content on Twitter.”
Now when you search for important Twitter moments, you may see a Top Tweet separate from the rest of the results. This Tweet is the best match for your query based on relevance and engagement. To see additional Tweets from this time period, tap on “View more from this time.” Try searching for “four more years” or “deep challenge” on your phone to see an example.
I checked using “Egypt uprising” and got a top tweet from two years ago:
And if you have an iPhone or iPad, you get even MORE:
- Tweets and web browsing: When you open a link from a Tweet in your timeline, you’ll see that Tweet displayed at the bottom of the app’s built-in web browser. This provides additional context to the page you’re viewing, and makes it easy for you to retweet, favorite or reply to the Tweet as you’re reading an article or watching a video.
- Autocomplete: We’ve improved autocomplete suggestions so that when you search on Twitter or you’re composing a Tweet, you’ll see more hashtag, topic and username suggestions as you type, updated with real-time options.
The iTunes update page shares a bit more info that the blog post leaves out:
• It’s easier to see long conversations in the Tweet details view, which now shows all of the replies to any Tweet
• When you block a user in the app, their Tweets will instantly disappear from the Connect tab in the app [thank goodness - and about time!]
This update also offers support for traditional Chinese and removes the ability to upload videos via Mobypicture, Vodpod and Posterous – more on THAT later.
(Light image from Shutterstock)
- Twitter Updates Its Login Page In The Wake Of Its IPO Announcement
- Twitter Makes Embedded Tweets' Photos Larger And Richer
- Introducing The New Twitter Media Blog
- Finally: Twitter Rolls Out DM Syncing Across Devices With 5.8 App Update