Despite a display of proper press credentials, City News Service reporter Calvin Milam was thrown to the ground and dragged away November 30, 2011 by police during the clear-out of Occupy LA’s downtown encampment. But it’s what immediately followed that really took the journalist by surprise.
The LAPD tried to dismiss the confrontation by claiming Milam was drunk and belligerent. All well and good, except for the fact that video of the incident completely disproved this version of events. Late last month, Milam finally filed suit in LA Superior Court. Per a Courthouse News Service report:
“The only reason he wasn’t prosecuted was because we located video which completely puts lie to what the cops said,” said Milam’s [high-powered] attorney Mark Geragos. “It’s astonishing to see that video and then see what was alleged: that he didn’t identify himself, show press credentials and that he was resisting.”
Milam says handcuffs put on him that night were so tight that they slashed his wrists. After being held for six hours, he was released and a charge of “unlawful assembly” was later dropped. The city has yet to respond to Milam’s complaint. Read the full Courthouse News Service story here.
- San Diego Photojournalist Claims He Was Roughed Up at U.S.-Mexico Border
- Howard Bragman Chats with Magic Johnson's Outed Son
- Associated Press Removes the Term 'Illegal Immigrants' from its Lexicon--Draws Inevitable Conservative Blowback
- Angered by Proposed Health Plan, San Francisco Chronicle Staffers Staging Social Media Protest