It’s a growth story for CNN in the month of November. The network was up +4% in Total Day viewing and up +6% in primetime, compared to November 2010. Up in the A25-54 demo too: +3% Total Day and +1% in primetime.
The ratings for November, 2011:
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 640K Total Viewers / 185K A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 409K Total Viewers / 122K A25-54
“Anderson Cooper 360″ at 8pmET has dramatically improved the timeslot: +43% in Total Viewers and +49% in younger viewers vs. Parker/Spitzer which aired at this time last year. The re-air at 10pm is also up. “Erin Burnett Outfront” has boosted the 7pmET slot by +16% in Total Viewers and +3% in younger viewers. “Piers Morgan Tonight” at 9pmET didn’t fare so well, down -2% in Total Viewers and down -3% in younger viewers vs. “Larry King Live” in Nov. 2010.
Interestingly, “American Morning,” which will be replaced in January, is up +2% in Total Viewers and up +14% in younger viewers year-over-year.
CNN’s release after the jump…
CNN GAINS VIEWERS IN NOVEMBER; MSNBC DOWN -23% AND FNC DECLINES -32% IN PRIMETIME
ANDERSON COOPER 360 UP +49%; ONLY SHOW TO GROW AT 8p; FNC DOWN -23%, MSNBC -36%
CNN ONLY CABLE NEWS NETWORK TO POST DOUBLE-DIGIT GROWTH, UP +30% IN 2011
• CNN grows in primetime in Nov. while MSNBC and FNC experience double-digit declines, -23% and -32%, respectively.
• AC 360 (8p) up +49%; FNC declines -23%, MSNBC down -36%.
• CNN tops MSNBC in daytime (9a-5p).
• In 2011, CNN up +30% in primetime while FNC looses -16% of its audience and MSNBC holds only 3%; beating MSNBC in total day.
• Erin Burnett OutFront at 7p up vs. CNN programming a year ago.
In M-F prime (8-11p), CNN increased +4% (211k vs. 203k) among P25-54 vs. Nov 10; MSNBC and FNC posted significant double-digit declines, down -23% (229k vs. 298k) and -32% (461k vs. 680k), respectively. In addition, Nov marks CNN’s 5th straight month of year-over-year growth in prime among the key demo.
YTD (through Nov 27), CNN is up +30% in M-F prime among P25-54 vs. same time period a year ago; MSNBC virtually flat (+3%) and FNC down -16%. In addition, CNN is outperforming MSNBC in total day (6a-6a) among P2+ (488k vs. 437k) and P25-54 (165k vs. 150k) 2011 to-date.
CNN tops MSNBC in daytime (9a-5p) in Nov, averaging 134k in P25-54 vs. MSNBC’s 95k.
Show Highlights (Nov 11 vs. Nov 10):
• 7p, ET: Erin Burnett OutFront continues to post increases vs. CNN programming a year ago, up +3% in the key demo (140k vs. 136k) and +16% in total viewers (510k vs. 440k).
• 8p, ET: Anderson Cooper 360 is the only program at 8p to post growth vs. a year ago–increasing a substantial +49% (192k vs. 129k) in the key demo; MSNBC down a staggering -36% and FNC declined -23%.
• 10p, ET: Anderson Cooper 360 grew +20% (221k vs. 184k) in the key demo, MSNBC down -11% and FNC declined -18%.
• 4p, ET: The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer topped MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan handily in both total viewers (691k vs. 480k) and P25-54 (173k vs. 103k). Sit Room also grew vs. a year ago, increasing +30% in the key demo.
CNN reached a cumulative audience of 85.7 million viewers in Nov, MSNBC followed with 74.6 million, while FNC was third with 71.7 million.