Despite slipping back to fourth place for the third quarter of 2013, HLN was the only cable news network to grow in both total day and primetime, posting double-digit increases compared to the third quarter of 2012. This is the third straight quarter HLN is up double digits.
The ratings for Q3 2013 (Nielsen Live + Same Day data):
- Primetime (Mon-Sun): 365,000 Total Viewers / 136,000 A25-54
- Total Day (Mon-Sun): 285,000 Total Viewers / 113,000 A25-54
Compared to the year-ago quarter, HLN is up +20% in total viewers and +15% in A25-54 viewers in total day. In primetime, the network is up +17% and up +24%, respectively.
Every HLN program between 2pm and 7pm was up more than +70% in the A25-54 demographic year-over-year. The daytime programming block (9am-5pm) topped MSNBC by +13% in the demo for the quarter.
More from HLN after the jump.
HLN Grows Double Digits for Third Straight Quarter
Highest Increases in Cable News for Q3 both Total Day and Prime
HLNtv.com Surges by Double Digits in All Key Metrics in Q3
For the first time in more than four years, HLN has posted double digit gains in the third straight quarter this year in total day P2+ and 25-54; M-Su prime P2+ and 25-54; and M-F prime P2+ and 25-54, compared to same time year ago. The last time HLN had sustained, double digit growth for three quarters was Q2 09. Also this quarter, HLN was the only cable news network to have double digit increases across every major daypart, P2+ and 25-54 viewers in total day and prime time (M-Su and M-F) year over year, (CNN and HLN both increased 15% among total day 25-54 viewers). Finally, year-to-date, HLN has the largest increases of any cable news network compared to a year ago.
Q3 13 increases compared to a year ago:
P2+: 286kvs. 240k +19%
25-54: 113k vs. 98k +15%
P2+: 367k vs. 314k +17%
25-54: 136k vs. 111k +23%
P2+: 353 vs. 290k +22%
25-54: 135 vs. 103k +31%
YTD 13 increases compared to a year ago:
P2+: 329k vs. 249k +32%
25-54: 125k vs. 97k +29%
P2+: 442k vs. 351k +26%
25-54: 157k vs. 116k +35%
P2+: 470k vs. 334k +41%
25-54: 167k vs. 111k +50%
The daytime daypart (9a to 5p) is 14% ahead of MSNBC in 25-54 viewers in Q3 13 (109k vs. 96k), and posted the largest gains among the cable news competition for the quarter, up double digits compared to a year ago.
Every program from 2p to 7p on HLN posted growth of more than 70% among 25-54 viewers in Q3 13 compared to a year ago.
Every M-F program but one, on HLN posted gains among P2+ and 25-54 viewers in Q3 13.
In Q3 2013, HLNtv.com showed double-digit growth in all key metrics over Q3 2012:
- 35mm average monthly page views, up 39% versus Q3 2012
- 6 mm average monthly uniques, up 33% over Q3 2012
- 2.7 mm video starts, up 59% increase over Q3 2012
- The top content page for the quarter was “George Zimmerman trial: 84 evidence photos” which gathered over 15mm page views in total.
- The top video for the quarter was “Did the prosecution prove its case?” which gathered over 66k video starts total.
HLNtv.com posted double-digit gains in uniques and video starts in September 2013 versus the prior year:
- 6mm uniques, up 22% over September 2012
- 1.6 mm video starts, up 10% versus September 2012
- The top content page for September 2013 was “Then & now: The ‘School of Rock’ all grown up!” which gathered 1.4mm page views.
- The top video for the month was “New Video: Newlyweds days before cliff death” which gathered 22k video starts.
Source: Adobe Reports and Analytics, through 9/29