(Photo: NYC Department of Transportation)
• How can design of the built environment create opportunities for increasing physical activity and access to healthier food and beverages? Find out on June 24th as architects, planners, designers, landscape architects, developers, and public health professionals come together for the eighth annual Fit City conference at the Center for Architecture. Not in NYC? Watch the livestream (while jogging in place).
• MJ is getting into the makeup game with Marc Jacobs Beauty. The color cosmetics collection, created in collaboration with Sephora, is set to launch in September with 122 products, including a blush called “Shameless” (a nod to one of the designer’s many tattoos). So how does it compare to working on a fragrance? “I think color is easier,” he told WWD. “Fragrance is even more like, sort of ephemeral in a way. But [color] is closer to the process of making a collection. Formulas are like fabrics, fibers, each fiber, whether silk or cashmere or whatever, they have natural properties. They have a certain look, they give you a certain feeling.”
• Martha Stewart‘s latest redesign goes beyond the pages of Living (look for the overhauled magazine to hit newsstands next week), according to an article in today’s New York Times. A new Martha website will be geared toward visitors with shorter attention spans–a two-minute glitter tutorial? How to frost a cake in 60 seconds or less?
• How do you seed LEED? Give it away. The U.S. Green Building Council’s just-launched LEED Earth campaign offers free LEED certification to the first projects to certify in the 112 countries where LEED has yet to take root.
• It’s an airport! It’s a cruise ship terminal! Stop, you’re both right. Hong Kong’s Tai Tak airport gets a second life, with the help of Norman Foster and the equivalent of $1 billion.
- Stereotank Drums Up a Winner for Times Square Valentine Heart Competition
- Hot to Cold: Bjarke Ingels Group's 'Architectural Odyssey' Bound for National Building Museum
- Hello, Aquilops! Paleontologists Discover Wee Dinosaur with Face of Eagle, Heart of Gold
- New Museum Offers Gift That Keeps On Giving: Tattoos by Amanda Wachob