Freelance Pop Culture Writer
Ranker.com, a Quantcast Top 100 site, is the leading platform for crowdsourced rankings across pop culture, sports and just about everything else anyone cares about. We attract more than 23 million unique visitors per month and generate 280 million pageviews. Deloitte just called us out as #49 in their Tech Fast 500 list of high-growth companies. We are venture-backed, growing rapidly and building out the team that'll make us one of the most popular businesses in the digital world.
Ranker.com, the leading platform for ranking just about everything, seeks writers who are ready to write all sorts of *relatable lists* our audience can see themselves in - lists about being in your 20s, lists about being shy, lists about dating, lists about being an anime addict, etc. As such, this will be a PITCH HEAVY gig - relatable lists work best when they come from the HEART, and you need to be able to pitch us with lots of good ideas that we can help you whittle down and spin into super relatable, super sharable lists. As such, so we know you've actually read this job description and understand what we're looking for, include in your application 10 list ideas like the ones below that you are prepared to write and have published on our site (if you don't include these in your application you will not be considered)—
- 27 Times You Were Insecure And Didn't Realize It
- 14 Things Only Female Basketball Fans Understand
- 9 Things You Need To Know About Dating A Medical Student
- 21 Things Only *Actual* Buffy Fans Have Noticed
- 16 Reasons Why Single Moms Aren't To Be Messed With
- 7 Unique Experiences Only Children With Parents From Another Country Understand
- 14 Weird Things That Happen When You've Been Best Friends With Your BFF Since Childhood
- 6 Struggles Of Being A Girl With Sensitive Skin
- 18 Weird Things That Happen When You're Becoming Best Friends With Someone
- 15 Ways *Actual* Anime Fans See The World Differently
More general stuff: This is a PAID opportunity. Candidates will be compensated for their work on a per-article basis, based on the length of assignment and level of research required. This is remote freelance opportunity. If you do great work, we can give you a high volume of regular assignments and potentially consider you for a full-time writing role.
You should deal well with deadlines, be detail oriented, excellent at online research, organized, and tech-savvy. You should be able to learn about topics you know nothing about at the drop of a hat. Excellent writing skills are a requirement, as are strong computer skills.
If you’re interested, please submit ALL of the following.
- Cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above.
- 10 list ideas, plus two items that would be in those lists, for lists you would write in the vein of the example lists provided above
- 3 writing samples that are relevant to this job description (don't send SEO writing, or journalistic long-form, not what we're looking for)
- A list of topics you are interested in writing about
- Your Twitter handle