Freelance Digital Media Editor
If grammatical errors offend you, if you love to create style guides and if your friends call you out for correcting their tweets then we have the job for you.
The Freelance Digital Media Editor will be responsible for the effectiveness and quality of the online courseware. This role works within our Content team based in Los Angeles. S/he reviews courseware mainly in the fields of aviation, medical, and other technical areas.
S/he will work with curriculum managers, instructional designers, writers and video production to ensure a consistent and cohesive courseware product.
Experience in aviation technical writing is a plus as the content is complex and may require outside research in order to understand and edit the material.
This is a freelance role and does not have to be in Los Angeles. However, we have consistently hired freelancers as full time staff and working in our LA office is required.
- Take editorial ownership of the course and be the last line of defense for quality control.
- Create and update internal style guides.
- Cross check course to manuals and other documents to confirm all content is covered, correct and thorough.
- Review text lessons, videos, and activities to assure alignment with course objectives.
- Review videos, text and assessments to ensure content is consistent, clear and easy to understand.
- Act as final copy editor and review courseware for grammar, spelling and formatting issues.
- Interact with Subject Matter Experts and internal courseware producers to identify problem areas and make corrections.
- Compile common error list and give feedback to executives, managers, writers, and authoring assistants in order to improve our process.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least eight years prior experience editing academic journals, technical publications or textbooks.
- Must be fluent with Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience or strong interest in teaching and creating digital content for education and training.
- Exceptional writing, copy editing, proofreading, and communication skills.
- Must be highly disciplined and self-motivated.
- Ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize.
- Can adjust to changing deadlines and priorities with ease.
- Must have a “can-do” attitude and be proactive and flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
- The ideal candidate has experience editing or writing aviation material and is excited to learn complicated subjects in order to become fluent with the topic.
ABOUT FULCRUM LABS
Fulcrum Labs turns Students into Learners; and turns Learners into Confident, Subject Matter Masters. That’s our singular Mission at Fulcrum Labs. Every piece of content, product and engineering decision is measured against this Mission.
We turn instructional material and learning objectives into ready-to-use online courses, power them with our adaptive learning platform and provide our partners with actionable analytics.
We are a collaborative team of instructional designers, writers, producers, animators, editors, developers, system engineers and data scientists, with an onsite studio, an amazing rooftop view of the Hollywood sign, and the ability to push online learning to the next level. We come to work everyday because we believe learning should not be one-size-fits all like sweatpants; textbooks suck; and training should not mean PowerPoint and conference room donuts.
We are looking for curious, lifelong learners to join our team on this mission. If you want to help people fly airplanes, save lives, build confidence, crush the SAT, get promotions, afford college, be empowered, love to learn, stay curious, save money, save time, graduate, fix jet engines, succeed, excel, and master, then we would love to hear from you.
- Submit cover letter, resume and samples of work to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Digital Media Editor.
- Those selected to move on to the next round will receive an email with two assignments along with materials on our mission and values.
- Phone interview with the VP of Operations.
- Potential additional phone or in person interviews.
- Offer is made.