Assistant Editor for Hornet Networks and UnicornBooty.com
What are Unicorn Booty and Hornet?
UnicornBooty.com is the fastest-growing online LGBTQ magazine for politics and pop-culture. Combining punchy journalism, pop-sugar and social media, we connect readers to cutting-edge queer culture through a rapidly expanding social network of artists and adventurers around the world.
Unicorn Booty's content also connects with Hornet, the fastest growing dating network for gay men in the world. Hornet is a mobile location-based people discovery app with social features unseen in the competition. Hornet connects 15 Million users worldwide and are growing rapidly, leading with the best technology in the business while advocating for gay men and their health globally.
- Research and create viral content (news, features, quizzes, videos, etc.) using a variety of online, curatorial, and social media tools.
- Write 4 to 5 daily short-form articles, 1 weekly medium-length features, 1 longer monthly feature and one in-depth long-form story once a quarter.
- Conduct outreach and followup with perspective interviewees, story participants and promotional partners.
- Assist with editing written, video, and photo content to conform with editorial style, standards, and voice.
- Help expand audience by identifying emerging media trends, key media influencers, up-and-coming content producers, and social media strategies.
- Promote and broadcast content on various social media platforms while tracking KPIs on engagement and reach.
- Help plan editorial calendar and story ideas for expansion into new markets, advertorial partners, and other needs.
- Assist with site improvements for enhanced SEO and all promotional and expansion efforts as needed.
- Help schedule and broadcast weekend content.
Skills, Experience and Education:
- A college degree or equivalent work experience in online journalism.
- Friendly and outgoing, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A smart, creative, self-starter who is passionate about journalism; has a creative vision, voice and style; and seeks to challenge the status quo.
- Proven social media savvy (please include links to your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr, if available).
- Ability to learn quickly and work well with others in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments simultaneously under deadlines.
- Experience with WordPress (or similar CMS software), PhotoShop, iMovie (or similar video editing software), Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest, and Google Docs.
- A nuanced understanding of LGBTQ media, pop-culture, politics and history, especially in regards to intersectionality and civil rights (both domestic and international).
- Please include links to your most popular story and the writing you are proudest of.