- Full Time
Position & Applicant Profile
AIDS-Free World is seeking a gifted wordsmith to join our team. We’re on the hunt for the kind of professional who takes more pleasure in a mission accomplished than a byline displayed. We are interested in hiring a team member who will enjoy working closely with the Co-Director(s), often behind the scenes. He or she must have a passion for finding cogent and absorbing ways to convey our ideas and analyses in statements, speeches, web and social media content, blogs and stories that will cause people to finish reading and look for more.
The successful candidate will be an incisive, insatiably curious thinker and communicator who isn’t afraid to present the powerful with the truth, however uncomfortable that might be. S/he will be a person who asks probing questions and whose past writing showcases an ability to craft powerful, polished pieces that hold people’s interest. S/he will be someone who has always been known for working collaboratively with colleagues, someone who feels comfortable adapting their work to fit the voice of the organization, and someone who would never claim during a job interview to feel energized by tight deadlines if that weren’t the strange, honest truth.
The kind of writer we need must be ready to hit the ground running (and balk at the use of clichés like “hit the ground running”.) With the rarest of exceptions, that means that qualified candidates will be people with strong track records in journalism, speech writing or ghostwriting. This is not an entry-level position: we are seeking a fully-formed professional with years of experience. The successful candidate will have an unusual obsession with facts and detail, the ability to edit others’ work and a gift for writing with clarity, brevity and simplicity. We are in search of the kind of professional whose delight in and respect for language is demonstrated consistently through near-flawless grammar and syntax.
A rock-solid commitment to feminist principles and social justice is essential. Familiarity with the United Nations and with international human rights work would be a plus, although it is not an absolute necessity for the right candidate who is willing to learn on the job. Additionally, the ability to communicate in French would be a strong asset.
This is a full-time position. The person we select will become part of a small, intense team of colleagues who work remotely, either from their homes or from rented offices in spaces shared by like-minded organizations. The successful candidate will be working on her/his own for much of the time, so she or he must have a proven track record of taking initiative, juggling tasks and effectively managing deadlines.
- Work closely with the Co-Director(s) to generate original content that captures their ideas, expertise and voice
- Produce a high quantity of concise, accurate, high-quality written materials, including statements, position papers, speeches, blogs, web postings, scripts, feature stories, etc., under tight deadlines
- Edit and adapt existing written materials
- Conduct research and interviews for written materials
- Generate and pitch content ideas to the Co-Director(s)
- Other duties as assigned in support of AIDS-Free World’s advocacy and communications work
About AIDS-Free World
AIDS-Free World is an international advocacy organization co-directed by Paula Donovan and Stephen Lewis. We are a small team of advocates working remotely from different cities throughout North America. We are at an exciting moment in the life of the organization: AIDS-Free World’s Code Blue Campaign has re-ignited a global discussion about ending impunity for peacekeeper sexual abuse. We continue to press for change and speak out fearlessly against inequality and injustice.
AIDS-Free World staff work remotely from home or rented office space. This post is open to candidates currently eligible to reside and work in the United States. Occasional travel will be required.
We offer a generous benefits package and compensation commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Please read the following guidelines carefully. Applications will be evaluated based on the fullness with which the instructions below are followed.
- The application deadline is 9:00am (EDT) on February 24, 2017. Please submit application online at https://aids-free-world.breezy.hr/p/b0addff2bf48. Please, no phone calls.
- In your cover letter, please include an explanation of what attracts you to AIDS‐Free World’s work and of how our advocacy reflects your values. Please also describe the ways in which your experience fits the profile of the candidate we’re seeking.
- Only one attachment can be submitted with your application. A cover letter must be submitted in the text box provided on the application page. You must include, in one PDF attachment, your résumé and a short portfolio of your written work. We ask that you provide more than one sample of your writing to help us evaluate your suitability for this position. In total, the samples you submit must not exceed ten pages. If there are additional social media channels, blogs or websites that showcase your work, feel free to include links to them in your résumé.
Note: Shortlisted candidates will be asked to participate in a timed writing exercise as part of the interviewing process. This exercise will simulate the way the selected writer will work with the Co-Director(s), and it will give all parties an opportunity to evaluate the process.
AIDS‐Free World, a project of the Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We seek and encourage applications from all qualified applicants, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical history or diagnosis.