Author Support for New York Book Editors
*This is a work-from-home role from anywhere.*
We're seeking a reliable, hard-working, and motivated Assistant to work within our company, NY Book Editors, for the long-term.
You’ll be the first point of contact for many writers, responding thoughtfully to their emails and facilitating their editing process. As part of this close-knit company, you'll be working with in an intimate, positive environment that thrives on organization, communication, and efficiency.
AS THE NY BOOK EDITORS AUTHOR SUPPORT SPECIALIST, YOU WOULD:
- Respond promptly and thoroughly to emails and phone calls to answer questions about our process. **Please note: We use Help Scout, Proposify, Google Drive, and Infusionsoft -- if you don't know the software, we can teach you. All we need you to be is eager and excited to learn these best-in-class management systems.**
- Assess author submissions, which includes reading the beginning of their work, within the required turnaround time.
- Know our editorial team inside and out so you can recommend the best editor match for the author’s work.
- Schedule and invoice trial edits between the author and editor.
- Schedule phone calls between authors and editors.
- Facilitate the editorial process by answering the author’s questions and helping them understand each step.
- Follow, Maintain, and Improve Working Procedures - In this position, you'll be expected to follow step-by-step procedures, as well as suggest how we can improve operational efficiency. Keep an eye out for repeating customer questions so you can create proven scripts (or improve already-existing scripts) to solve similar service issues and better answer our customers' questions.
- Be Alert and Recognize Trends in Customer Service - You'll be ready to feed those trends back to the team, so we're constantly improving our customer experience.
- Use Google Drive apps and Infusionsoft to maintain spreadsheets and records. **Please note: We’ll teach you how to use all the software management tools.
- Send out contracts using software called Proposify and follow up as needed.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
You're a great match for this unique opportunity, if you have:
- Excellent Written & Verbal Communication Skills - You understand the nuances of email communication, and can handle even the most challenging situations with professionalism and warmth.
- An Excellent Work Ethic - Although you’re working remotely, probably from home, you should be able to focus 100% on the tasks at hand. It’s a busy, lively position and you must be able to give it your all during work hours.
- Strong Organizational Skills - You will be juggling many balls. There are lots of authors, some at the prospect stage, others are clients, and many editors as well. You must be the kind of person who prides himself or herself on staying organized.
- The Ability to Stay Cool Under Pressure - An author wasn’t happy about something you said? You’re not the type that gets emotional about it. You start focusing on the solution right away. What’s the best way to explain what went wrong to the author? You remain professional and helpful.
- Honest/Ethical - We value honesty! We’re open and transparent with each other, which is partly what contributes to a great environment for everyone.
The right candidate for this position must:
- Find great satisfaction after a productive day's work.
- Enjoy working with people, which includes handling customer emails and phone calls.
- Have access to high-speed internet, reliable phone service, and availability to respond to emails with urgency.
- Have a computer that’s capable of handling large media files when necessary.
- Have the ability to pick up technology basics quickly.
- Be able to multitask and meet deadlines efficiently.
- Have a high standard of excellence for yourself and every task you take on.
- Know how to prioritize your time and how to think on your feet.
- Be available to attend weekly calls, on Eastern Standard Time.
ABOUT NY BOOK EDITORS
New York Book Editors is a start-up that pairs independent authors with top tier editors, providing mentorship and guidance throughout the editing process. Our goal is to improve the author’s craft as well as the manuscript at hand. We’re looking for an Assistant who would enjoy working with writers and guiding them through the editing process.
We offer the energy and excitement of a small business, along with the opportunity to make a massive impact in the lives of hundreds of authors. You would be working with some of the best editors in the industry, seeing how they communicate and work with authors, and learning from their transformative advice.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE WORKING AT OUR COMPANY
- You'll have the freedom and flexibility to work from wherever you want. As long as you're getting work done, we're fine if you're working from the beach! You’ll also receive generous vacation time including two weeks off plus one week for Christmas in your first year, three weeks (+ Christmas) in your second year, and most federal holidays.
- You will learn constantly. This is a job that will force you to grow. You’ll learn something new and be challenged pretty much every day.
- You'll support a team that loves helping writers realize their goals and see their books make an impact.
To apply, click on the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/kr4m5Lp388Um3fnq2
We look forward to being in touch!