About Your Role:
Do you love writing about personal finance? Have you figured out ways to save, invest and spend that have left your friends and family saying “wow!”? Are you the person that people come to for advice about their money? Than we have an opportunity for you!
The Balance is one of the largest and fast growing personal finance sites on the web, educating and empowering people to take control of their financial lives. Our mission is to help people earn more, save better and send smarter. We are looking for a number of personal finance writers that have experience and knowledge of financial topics and can convey them in accessible, easy to understand terms.
The audience we reach is looking for information across their lifelong relationship with money, be they a college grad paying down student debt, a person buying their first home, a family saving for their child’s college, or someone planning their dream retirement. Our writers talk with our audience, not at them, and have a passion for their topic.
Need to have:
- Demonstrable experience writing about personal finance topics (budgeting, paying down debt, investing basics, financial planning)
- Experience writing for a web-based publication
- Very comfortable writing straightforward, practical advice on personal finance topics
- Ability and willingness to edit and update existing content
- Comfortable with multiple simultaneous projects and meeting staggered deadlines
- Willingness to work closely with an Assignment Editor and Copy Editor
- Experience with a WordPress-style CMS
- Working Google Account and familiarity with Google Sheets and Google Analytics
Nice to have:
- Experience working as a remote freelancer
- Experience working with an Assignment Editor and Copy Editor
- Demonstrable experience documenting processes
- Demonstrable experience creating curriculum or other educational content
- Active social media following
Our freelancer contracts last for up to one year and may be renewed. We require a minimum number of pieces to be submitted per month, a number we individualize with each of our writers based on their abilities and our needs. Most pieces are between 700 and 1500 words.