The Guilford Press seeks experienced freelancers to copy edit professional and trade books in our mental health, education and literacy, geography, and research methods lists. The majority of our books are edited electronically, but occasionally titles are edited on hard copy. Copy editors edit manuscript for style, spelling, and grammar, typecode individual elements, check reference lists against citations, ensure figures and tables are called out in manuscripts, query authors and editors on missing or problematic material, and generally ensure that manuscripts are complete, coherent, consistent, and ready for typesetting. Though our books are varied, most are academic in nature, and many have numerous elements that can be complex in design and coding (tables, boxes, sidebars, numerous heading levels, etc.).
Candidates should have:
- experience copy editing professional or academic books with reputable publishers
- a strong grasp of APA style
- confidence working with Microsoft Word, especially its Track Changes function
- deep understanding of the mechanics of complex published material, including the ability to differentiate among and code numerous different elements
- the ability to consistently implement Guilford style and policies, and follow specific instructions for individual titles
- the ability to work independently and to query in-house editors as needed
- a keen eye for detail combined with a grasp of the big picture—you’re responsible for spotting an incorrectly spaced ellipsis, and for ensuring that a book’s tone is consistent and appropriate for its market.
Please send your resume with a cover letter. Subject line should read “Freelance Copyeditor”. Thank you.