Assistant Managing Editor, Talent
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is seeking an Assistant Managing Editor, Talent, to focus on all aspects of newsroom hiring and talent development. The job involves external and internal recruitment, personnel management, career development, diversity initiatives, performance management and organizational development. The AME, Talent, will work closely with hiring managers and senior editors to ensure that the newsroom is diverse, inclusive and welcoming. We are looking for a proven Journal newsroom leader with a passion and eye for journalistic talent who can serve as an ambassador for the Journal and its values.
- Set standard processes for recruitment, hiring, allocation and compensation planning for our journalists. Educate and lead editors through those processes.
- Prioritize transparency and diversity in recruitment, hiring and promotion and strategize ways to encourage them.
- Coach newsroom staffers on career paths and development.
- Advise newsroom leadership on the flow of staff in and out of the organization.
- Build and maintain a strong pipeline for talent, including strong relationships with colleges and universities and a robust internship program.
- Create and drive programs identifying high-potential staffers and ensure career-development activities to maximize the internal promotion of best candidates.
- Support the newsroom through the annual performance-review process, creating tools and best practices and educating newsroom leadership about their application.
- Collaborate with the AME, Training and Outreach, on the creation, management and delivery of global training programs in journalism, media technology, management skills and personal development.
- Build and champion organizational support structures, programs and communications strategies to enhance the culture of excellence, opportunity and inclusiveness.
- Identify and attract top internal and external talent.
- Lead diversity efforts and demonstrate leadership to set and meet organizational goals.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Manage, motivate and develop staff to produce high quality, highly productive work.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of the Journal -- digital and print -- and how our journalists are hired and trained in line with those values.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to represent the best of the Journal’s core attributes at speaking engagements, recruiting events and internal training.
- Critical thinking and diplomatic problem-solving skills.
- Sound organizational abilities and inclination toward setting agendas, managing projects and change management.
- Deep understanding of the audience and membership structure and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- Ability to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
Position in hierarchy/reporting lines
- Reporting to: Managing Editor
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us via email . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com