City Life Editor, Time Out Los Angeles
Location: Los Angeles
Reporting to: Editor, Time Out Los Angeles
Internal: Content, North America
The City Life Editor of Time Out Los Angeles will be responsible for assisting in creating content across all platforms (including print, digital, and social). This is a multimedia position focusing on writing and video production, tasked with the overall responsibility of engaging our audience with the best of their city across multiple verticals and channels.
Key Responsibilities - City Life
- Assist in writing stories about major city announcements, culture-related news and upcoming events.
- Manage city social media channels, including Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- Maintain monthly events calendars across all verticals, updating on a daily/weekly/monthly basis as needed.
- Ensure all content meets SEO standards.
- Coordinate with freelancers (both writers and photographers), delegating tasks and stories as needed
Key Responsibilities - Video Production
- Regularly produce online videos across multiple platforms, from short form (especially for social media) to long form.
- Devise creative treatments and executions and see them through from planning to delivery. This includes planning shoots, sourcing any necessary props and costumes, obtaining model releases, shooting video (with high-quality sound and lighting), writing compelling scripts, editing in FinalCut Pro and/or AfterEffects, and posting video content online.
- Create engaging videos that meet individual and team goals (e.g., engagement, traffic, conversion, etc.).
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited university
- Advanced English proficiency
- One to three years of professional experience in the media industry, with a specific focus on digital content and production
- Ability to work with various tools of the trade, including content management systems; photo, video and audio editing software; and basic HTML coding.
- Knowledge of video tools, software and programs (including FinalCut Pro, AfterEffects, etc.)
- Experience managing social media pages, specifically Twitter and Facebook
What we look for in a candidate
Time Out is a company filled with individuals as diverse as the cities we live in and cover. At the same time there are common characteristics and values we all share. To join our team, you'll want to...
- Be commercially astute
- Either have experience at or want to dive headfirst into a fast-paced digital-first and event centric company
- Think globally
- Have excellent and communication and relationship-building skills
- Have a high sense of ownership, urgency drive
- Be a team player
At Time Out Group we believe in diversity and equal opportunity for all people. We do not discriminate against external or internal candidates on the basis of age; disability; gender reassignment; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation; marriage and civil partnership; and pregnancy and maternity. We believe that diversity develops creativity and enables personal and professional growth where we all learn from each other. We believe in an open culture where ideas are shared candidly and where there is no fear of failure, but rather an understanding that we must experiment and have the freedom to succeed. We believe that everyone has the right to express themselves as they are as this enriches us all. We believe in an open world and the pursuit of happiness, after all, we are in the happiness business.
Company Overview – Time Out Digital
Time Out Group comprises two business divisions. Time Out Market and Time Out Digital. Time Out Digital is the Group’s multi-platform media, entertainment and e-commerce business with a global content distribution network comprising online, mobile, apps, social channels, magazines, guides, Live Events and international licensing agreements. Time Out seeks to grow earnings from B2C and B2B relationships through e-commerce and offers as well as through advertising from businesses, including both global brands and local businesses. The Group manages its own operations across 76 cities and 20 countries and extends that reach through franchise partners in a further 32 cities across the world.
About Time Out Group Plc
Time Out is, and always has been, your best friend in the city. It all began in London in 1968 when Time Out helped people explore the exciting new urban cultures that started up all over the capital and we have consistently maintained our status as the ‘go to’ source of inspiration for both locals and visitors alike. Today, we are bringing our hunger for discovery and our honest voice to 108 cities in 39 countries all over the world, reaching a global monthly audience of 242 million. We are proud to say that we are now the leading global media and entertainment business that inspires and enables people to make the most of the city. If you want to know about food, attractions, art, culture, shopping, nightlife and travel, then Time Out is your social companion.
Everything we do helps people discover, book and share what the world’s cities have to offer. From our powerful content and top-quality curation to the products and selected offers that can be booked directly with us, the solutions for partners to connect with our audience, or the imagination of our Live Events – we are global and no one knows the city like us. Our global reach includes a massive online presence, mobile applications, city magazines, guides and more. Now Time Out Market is taking that to the next level, bringing the best of a city together under one roof in Lisbon, and in other cities around the world soon.
Time Out Group comprises two business divisions; Time Out Digital and Time Out Market. In 2016, the Group was listed on London's AIM stock exchange, raising investment to position the company for the next stage of its growth and development. It is an exciting time as we are evolving this iconic brand into a digital, transactional business and continue to shape the future of the city experience for both locals and visitors.
Time Out is a dynamic, pioneering brand and so is our team. We want to work with the best and brightest talent because we work for the world’s greatest cities, the people enjoying them and the businesses in them. As a truly global team we get to collaborate with colleagues from New York to Paris, Tokyo and Sydney and beyond. We are all driven by our passion to deliver the very best of the city experience and by our belief in the power of discovery. Our integrity, passion, curiosity, creativity and openness make us successful and a unique team.