Travel News Editor
- Full Time
AFAR is seeking a seasoned, energetic Travel News Editor to join our New York or California-based digital team. The ideal candidate will obsess over the inner workings of the travel industry and thrive on developing smart, engaging, and service-driven digital content for our discerning audience of curious, sophisticated, and affluent travelers. In this role, s/he will commission, edit, and produce daily stories focused on aviation, points and rewards, travel products, and trends for AFAR.com. The right candidate will be constantly thinking about what the latest industry news—from new airplane seats and credit-card rewards to local regulations affecting Airbnb—means for frequent travelers. S/he will have a passion for getting to the story first, apply exceptional service journalism instincts to every piece, and file under tight deadlines without sacrificing tone, quality, or attention to detail.
- Assign, edit, and produce multiple stories a week, with a primary focus on covering aviation, points and rewards, travel products, and trends through the traveler’s lens.
- Seek out and report on the latest industry news and trends that will impact the future of travel, for AFAR travelers.
- Anticipate and answer frequent travelers’ questions, like what SSSS means on your boarding pass and when you should buy travel insurance.
- Mine press releases, newsletters, social media, industry contacts, and more, to stay ahead of what’s happening in the industry.
- Manage and develop a network of go-to writers with deep industry expertise to create authoritative, timely, and service-rich stories.
- Work closely with our analytics and audience development teams to identify and commission stories that will resonate across online, social, and email channels.
- Generate ideas for new columns and ongoing reporting projects.
- Maintain and develop deep relationships with industry PR teams.
- Represent AFAR at events, conferences, and deskside meetings.
- Minimum of 5 years of daily news experience at a fast-paced online publication (travel or business preferred).
- Exceptional consumer story instincts and a portfolio of clips to prove it; we’re especially looking for expertise in aviation and overall travel intelligence.
- Experience commissioning, editing, and producing a high volume of daily and weekly content, in a CMS.
- Sound news judgment (you know a good idea when you see one; you also know what to punt).
- Excellent story ideation, editing, headline writing, and packaging skills; dexterity with SEO.
- Manage the cadence of short turn-around assignments and longer-lead stories with aplomb.
- Capable of working at a fast pace and shifting priorities to meet deadlines.
- Work well independently, as part of a bicoastal team, and at cruising altitude.
- Recruit, cultivate, and retain top freelance reporting talent that specialize in covering key travel industry beats; bonus points for an enviable contact list of quotable industry leaders.
- Be a proactive self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Possess excellent organizational, communication, and collaboration skills.
Please send a resume with relevant clips of work you’ve written or edited, as well as salary requirements, with the subject line “Travel News Editor”