Writer - Pop Culture
Come join our fun, creative Topix editorial team! We're looking for a writer to write articles, lists, and quizzes for our Black pop culture vertical, Blackbeat (blackbeat.topix.com). This writer would also have the opportunity to contribute to our other verticals, which include Offbeat (fun and funny internet culture), Rewind (historical fun facts), Pawsome (cute pets and other animals), Passport (travel and cool things around the world), and more.
This position is part-time and freelance to start, but could lead to a full-time role. Compensation is on an hourly basis.
- Good at grammar, spelling, all that jazz
- Immersed in internet slang, social media, and pop culture trends
- Deeply familiar with Black celebrity culture and Black internet culture
Our entire writing team is remote and we sync up via Slack and video conferencing. If you happen to be in the Bay Area, you are welcome to work from our office in Palo Alto (which has a kitchen with a truly astonishing snack selection). Our writers have been published in Gawker, Jezebel, Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, MTV.com, among other places.
- 2+ years' experience of writing online for a substantial audience (please send 2+ links to online writing samples in your cover letter)
- Some experience with making slideshows, listicles, or quizzes focused on entertainment, celebrities, or internet culture
- Familiarity with Black celebrity culture and Black internet culture
- A way with words, so that your sentences make people laugh or feel emotionally engaged
- Meticulous writing, editing and self-editing skills
- A strong visual sense
- Ability to source and edit images quickly and flawlessly
- Must be detail-oriented and fast so that you can produce clean copy, quickly
Nice to have, but not required:
- BA or MA in English, journalism, or a related field
- Experience with Photoshop or other image editing software
- Experience editing, writing, or otherwise producing video web content
About the company:
Topix is an entertainment and news media company where more than 18 million people a month find a growing collection of content about celebrities, pop culture, current events and more. A company that started with news aggregation, since 2014 Topix has focused on producing viral and shareable content for millennials and beyond.
Based in Palo Alto, California, Topix LLC is a privately held company with investment from Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI), The McClatchy Company (NYSE: MNI) and Tribune Company.