Opinion Editor, Jewish Telegraphic Agency
- Full Time
The Jewish Telegraphic Agency (JTA) is seeking a razor-sharp opinion editor to launch a robust opinion vertical for our famed global Jewish news service. This editor will commission op-eds and first-person essays that provoke conversation around issues of Jewish affairs on topics including politics, policy, pop culture, religion, and the arts.
The ideal candidate will have experience in opinion journalism and digital media as well as an eye for what people are talking about and a deep knowledge of Jewish issues and understanding of Israel affairs.
We are looking for op-eds that offer innovative solutions to current or persistent problems; unexpected ways of thinking about a familiar topic; or skillful articulation of a topic that is of great current interest. We are also committed to reflecting the complex ideological and religious diversity of the English-speaking Jewish world.
- Generating ideas and soliciting appropriate writers for op-eds and essays, including experts, politicians, activists, celebrities and thought leaders
- Discovering grassroots and alternative voices who are not yet well known
- Evaluating blind submissions
- Managing copy flow
- Helping first-time authors frame their arguments
- Editing from line-edit to rewrite
- Suggesting illustrations
- Related experience in opinion journalism
- Digital media experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal skills
- Demonstrated familiarity with the range of issues
- Solid news judgment is a must
- Excellent multi-tasking skills