Content Editor for Creativity in the Digital Age Series
Freelance Content Editor to manage British Council's Creativity in the Digital Ages series of articles, research and opinion pieces. Work remotely.
Friends of the British Council USA Inc is offering a one-year consultancy for a Content Editor to coordinate the British Council's new Creativity in the Digital Age series globally. The Content Editor will manage the development of the articles, white papers, case studies, digital shorts, literature review and implement a plan for digital dissemination activities.
Background and scope of work:
‘Creativity in a Digital Age’ is a new series which will bring together a community of researchers, experts, education and industry thought leaders. This series will highlight the importance of creativity and creative playto the future workplace of 2030 and to community cohesion in general. The scope includes a remit to:
- Commission articles/white papers/digital shorts on the role of creativity in the future workplace of 2030 and on why creativity is considered an important 21stcentury core skill;
- Demonstrate how creativity is important to communities for economic prosperity, economic mobility, and adaptability in a rapidly changing marketplace;
- Explore the role of creativity in development of future inventors, changemakers, political leaders
- Debate the impact the digital age is having on the development of creativity in youth and adults
- Engage the media and the general public on the importance of creativity and creative play to people of all ages.
This series will shine a spotlight on cutting edge research around creativity in education, how it can be taught and assessed, and how important it is to the future economic prosperity of young people today and the communities they live in. Through the case studies of British Council programmes involving young people in disadvantaged communities, there will also be a focus on the role of creativity and creative play in fostering community cohesion and skills development not regularly seen in overburdened education systems.
- Fluency in spoken and written English;
- Experience and understanding of the creative play landscape (theory and practice);
- Editorial, commissioning and curation experience;
- Experience of working to tight deadlines on multiple priorities.
The Consultant’s scope of work will be designed based on the following key responsibilities:
- Programme facilitation:Overseeing the production, sequencing and delivery of the following outputs across the year.
- Networking:compiling and approaching a directory of relevant and high-potential sectors, individuals and organisations of interest for each segment of the series (academics, policymakers, sector thought leaders, think tanks, sector experts and key influencers);
- Curation: of a series of current and topical content for each segment of the series, covering both British Council work (projects and own research) and external global research. In parallel, the generation of ideas using a variety of content types such as articles/features/white papers/video shorts to explore and address the priority themes of the Creativity in the Digital Age series;
- Commissioning and Editorial: recruitment and commissioning of articles/writing papers/research/interviews from freelancers, researchers and in-house writers;
- Media toolkit and digital materials: overseeing the development of the toolkits and short form digital materials on specific topics for sharing via social media;
- Leadership:undertaking external facing roles and personal representation of the best of the British Council to external organizations
- Reporting:maintaining records to track progress against objectives and report on performance and progress in a format agreed with Executive Director of FOBC and British Council Director of Digital, Partnerships and Innovation;
- Finance: efficient logging and liaison manage budget and record and process payments involved in tendering and commissioning.
How to apply:
The role is home-based and we are open to applications from anywhere in the world. You will need access to your own laptop and reliable internet connection.
The resume submission deadline is noon EST US on Thursday 31stJanuary 2019.
- Cover letter (no more than 1 double-sided page) - tell us why you are a good fit for this project
- Examples of prior work / writing sample
- 1-page CV/resume
Please send your application and any related correspondence.
The consultancy will be for a fixed period of 11 months at 80 – 100 hours a month, starting on, or around, 11thFebruary 2019.