College Essay Advisor for Premier Essay Advising Service (Freelance)
We encourage candidates of all races, colors, religions, national origins, gender identities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Title: College Essay Advisor for Premiere Essay Advising Service (Freelance)
About the Company: College Essay Advisors (CEA) works with college applicants to help them craft compelling and effective college admissions essays. Our advising services help students reach their maximum potential and present their most polished and intriguing selves to an admissions board, while taking the stress out of the essay writing process. We have helped students gain admission to a wide variety of academic institutions including members of the Ivy League and the Big Ten, private liberal arts universities and everything in between. We approach each student’s goals with a high level of expertise, an eye towards efficiency and a healthy dose of fun.
What we’re looking for: Our ideal candidate is an experienced writing coach who is familiar with the college application process and has helped students write various kinds of essays, including personal statements and school-specific supplements. We need someone who can bring energy and enthusiasm to the stress-filled application process, and connect with students in a way that brings out applicants’ best stories and unique character traits. Experience as an admissions officer, application essay coach, guidance counselor, English teacher/professor or any other position related to the college admissions process and/or personal essay is ideal. The position involves a lot of one-on-one contact with students (via phone, Skype or Facetime), so experience tutoring and building individual relationships with students is a huge plus. Regular interaction with parents is also involved, so the ability to regularly exhibit professionalism, poise and diplomacy is essential. While we work with students year-round, our busy season peaks from August through November-December. Candidates must have a ton of schedule flexibility during these months in particular, as well as the motivation and drive to complete a wide range of essays with students in this limited period of time.
A few more things about CEA:
We’re awesome at what we do. Our CEO has been advising students for over a decade and CEA as a whole has already helped hundreds of students gain admission into the colleges of their dreams. We love helping students succeed. (And unshockingly, our students love getting acceptance letters!)
We’re expanding like a post-blizzard slush puddle in Times Square. Which is to say, quickly. Every year our services are booked to capacity and this year we’re looking to take the operation to new heights.
We’re, like, totally cool. One of our core company values is “be fun and have fun.” It’s what our teenage clients love about us, and it is what we love about our work.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Working with students to craft stellar admissions essays using the College Essay Advisors creative teaching methodology
- Staying in constant contact with students and scheduling regular check-ins throughout the process
- Maintaining a steady pace to ensure that students meet all application deadlines
- Helping students stay organized and write all of their essays as efficiently as possible
- Delivering a high level of customer service to students and parents alike, who all come with their own unique concerns and needs
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Comparative Literature, Education, Journalism, or other related field
- Prior experience tutoring and working with students one-on-one on writing assignments
- Stellar writing and communication skills
- Excellent judgment and the ability to work independently
- Impeccable attention to detail (We love perfectionists!)
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Professional email and phone personality
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Availability and willingness to virtually meet with students after school in the evenings and weekends and general schedule flexibility
- A sense of humor
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Prior work experience as a college admissions officer, guidance counselor, college essay writing coach, high school English teacher or college prep professional
- Experience specifically teaching the college essay/personal statement either one-on-one or in a class environment
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter with your desired hourly pay range and writing sample of your choice (preferably something creative and/or in an essay style. We love to learn new things, but no research papers, please!) in the Portfolio section. Applications sent without all of these items will not be considered, even if you try to bribe us with Mallomars after the fact. We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply for College Essay Advisor for Premier Essay Advising Service (Freelance)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly