We have a career opportunity for a junior technical specialist within our ebook development team. This team within the corporate Penguin Random House Ebook Development and Operations Group is focused on improving internal ebook production tools, enhancing third party tools, and providing support for these processes and tools in a Mac environment. The junior ebook technical specialist will be expected to assist with all aspects of the ebook development team responsibilities, however relative weight of these job functions will depend on candidate experience and department needs.
- 1st and 2nd level technical support of ebook production workflows. This includes, but is not limited to, epub debugging, internal and external tool support, understanding of our tagging and design processes, and InDesign help.
- Assist with internal ebook standards development
- Create process and technical documentation
- Perform workflow and software testing
- Use Python to maintain existing code and develop new features (with Jira and Git)
- At least 2 years of experience in ebook production
- Basic Python (preferred, candidates with familiarity in other languages will be considered)
And experience in at least four of the following:
- Using Adobe InDesign in ebook production processes
- Ebook production tool testing
- Requirements gathering for technical development
- Issue/bug tracking in a team environment (Jira preferred)
- Software development using version control (Git preferred)
- Comfortable in a Mac environment (including the use of AppleScript, Automator, or the command line)
- Providing 1st level technical support
- Knowledge of print book design and production
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.