Associate Production Editor
- Full Time
Kirkus Editorial is seeking an associate production editor to support both our Kirkus Direct (direct-to-author) editorial services and our partnerships with traditional publishers. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated individuals with a drive for editorial excellence, a passion for helping authors achieve their goals, and an eagle eye that can spot a dropped period at five hundred yards. We’re looking for an organized individual who can work independently to meet deadlines—a book lover who thrives on building relationships and exceeding customer expectations.
- Perform quality checks on the work of freelance editors
- Reconcile author edits in manuscripts
- Follow a production schedule to manage books from raw manuscript to publish-ready files
- Answer customer phone calls and email inquiries about Kirkus Direct editorial services and follow up as necessary
- Write and edit content for the Kirkus Writers’ Center and social media pages
- Copyedit and proofread ancillary book content, such as book covers and promotional text
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in English literature, creative writing, journalism, communications, or another related field
- 3 to 5 years’ professional experience as a book editor
- Comprehensive working knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and a fantastic telephone manner
- Natural initiative and comfort with self-managing
- Confidence and a customer-focused personality
- Project management skill, attention to detail, ability to juggle multiple deadlines
- Creativity, quick learning, and adaptability
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and aptitude to learn internal software programs
- Ability to pass, to our satisfaction, tests for The Chicago Manual of Style, copyediting, and proofreading
This is a full-time, remote position. Benefits include health, dental, vision, 401k, PTO, and more. EOE
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Lauren Bailey: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
For more than 85 years, Kirkus has been one of the most influential voices in publishing. Librarians and booksellers use Kirkus Reviews to decide which books they should order for their shelves. Morning talk show producers and consumer magazine editors scour the pages for guidance on which authors to cover and what exciting books are being released. Our subscriber base is replete with film executives, agents, and foreign publishers looking for early scoop on the best new books. Virtually every publishing house and literary agent in America reads Kirkus in some capacity, and the hard-earned starred review remains one of the most coveted brags in the industry.
We’ve been part of the industry long enough to witness many changes, and we are sensitive to the evolving needs of both writers and readers. With this in mind, Kirkus expanded its coverage of the industry to self-publishing in 2005 and became one of the only industry giants to include independent authors. Almost 15 years later, we are recognized as the most respected curator of self-published content for industry decision makers. While Kirkus innovated new ways to help the authors it discovered market their titles to consumers and industry influencers, we also developed a book editing division that offered independent authors access to our vast network of editors working for the best publishing houses in America.
It is from this unique position—with one foot firmly established in the traditional book industry and the other standing strong in the indie domain—that Kirkus has grown into a vital resource across all segments of publishing.