Social Media Manager (Communications Marketing Mgr) – Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism
- Full Time
Position Title: Social Media Manager (Communications Marketing Manager) – Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism
Job ID: 21199
Compensation: Salary commensurate with education and experience
Closing Date: January 13, 2020
The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY, founded in 2006, has become nationally recognized for its innovative programs. The only public graduate journalism school in the northeastern U.S., it prepares students from diverse economic, racial, and cultural backgrounds to produce high-quality journalism.
As the profession continues to reinvent itself for the digital age, the Newmark J-School is at the forefront of equipping the next generation of journalists with the reporting, writing, interactive, technological, and entrepreneurial skills they need to find stories and tell them effectively. The school currently offers a Master of Arts in Journalism, a unique bilingual M.A. in Journalism for students fluent in English and Spanish, and the nation's first M.A. in Social Journalism.
The Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism seeks a Social Media Manager/Digital Writer to implement a social media strategy to promote its academic programs, events, admissions efforts, and other activities. This person must understand how each social media platform can best be deployed to advance the school’s mission and its objectives which include improving brand awareness, website traffic, visibility of programs and events, and community engagement. This position reports to the Assistant Dean for External Affairs.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Manages, monitors and mediates all of the School’s social platforms -- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and YouTube; this involves performing social listening to identify opportunities for engagement and to nurture specific communities;
- Produces and publishes high-quality, multimedia content (both in advance and live) involving Newmark J-School events, news, faculty, students, alumni, and academic programs;
- Writes weekly newsletter to communicate with faculty and staff; writes news posts and other content for the School’s website;
- Develops and administers social media marketing campaigns, both paid and unpaid; assists in setting and analyzing campaign metrics; translate data, insights, and best practices into recommendations for revising tactics and measuring the success of social media initiatives and marketing campaigns;
- Collaborates with administration, staff, and faculty to create and maintain an Editorial Content Calendar for short- and long-term needs;
- Oversees work-study students who assist in media coverage of the School.
- Trains and empowers members of the J-School community to become more directly engaged in our social media outreach;
- Maintains posting guidelines and brand style-guide for all social media channels;
- Stays current on developments in social media marketing to help position Newmark J-School as a leader among its peers;
- Adheres to journalistic standards and ethics for fact-finding, research, verification, and content; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Exceptional writing, editing, reporting, and presentation skills including a demonstrated ability to write in different styles and for a variety of audiences.
- Strong sense of urgency and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of effectively using a journalism and higher education frame of reference to produce strong and persuasive content across the digital landscape.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; attention to detail is key.
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital communications, advanced technologies, and user experience strategies.
- Critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use research and analytics to generate data-driven reports to support and evaluate social media campaigns.
- Media relations experience.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Background in web production, design, video, photography or fine arts.
- Knowledgeable of SEO, programs such as Google Adwords, Google Analytics, Sprout Social, Facebook Creator Studio, Facebook Pixel, Twitter, Linkedin and Instagram analytics; HootSuite, Adobe Creative Cloud, WordPress, Salesforce, MailChimp, Social Flow, Crowtangle, Pardot.
CUNY Title Overview:
- Manages marketing and advertising initiatives to achieve specific marketing goals.
- Develops advertising programs consistent within overall marketing plans to achieve image, awareness and/or enrollment goals
- Implements programs in print, radio, broadcasting, mail, and electronic communications, coordinating with internal units and external service providers
- Actively manages and moderates electronic content and marketing tools for both College and external web sites and sources, including social networks, video portals, and listservs
-Develops, tracks, and reports on both advertising costs (budgets) and results to assure goals are met; collects and analyzes data on exposure, traffic, and other metrics
- May supervise staff and external service providers
- Performs related duties as assigned.
How to Apply:
- Please apply using the link below:
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization). Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format as one file.
2. Go to http://cuny.jobs/ and search for Job ID 21199.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.