Assistant LI Editor - Hub
Newsday Media Group, Long Island, NY USA
Work at Newsday Media Group
The Hub team seeks a “do it all” editor to edit copy and write headlines and display copy for the news of the day in all forms: narrative stories, video, alternative storytelling, social media, voice and print.
Essential Duties & Functions
- Communicate/coordinate with other HUB members on stories and jump in to help wherever needed.
- Handle all kinds of news quickly with great attention paid to accuracy, fairness, and detail.
- Collaborate with colleagues across print, digital and video platforms.
- Review stories before publication.
- Encourage reporters to cultivate diverse sources and drive coverage that makes Newsday essential reading for Long Islanders.
- Assess reader/subscriber trends and act on the resulting metrics to lead coverage that serves our loyal subscribers and helps Newsday build subscribers and new, diverse audiences.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- Prior experience at a news organization preferred
- Must have strong news judgment and editing skills with a deep understanding of our products and the role of metrics.
- Must be collaborative and communicative with colleagues across all platforms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to ask big-picture questions as well as confidently sweat the details.
- Demonstrated ability to edit and post copy quickly, and accurately, for all Newsday platforms, meet tight deadlines, juggle more than one story at a time and understand the importance of data-driven reporting.
- Comfortable and proficient using social media, smartphone photo and video and other media platforms to help reporters report and tell stories.
- Ability to coach and edit in an engaging manner is essential.
- Flexibility to handle different types of editing tasks on any given day – stories, video scripts, graphics, etc. Experience using Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets is a plus.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate and build a rapport with others.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments simultaneously while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to work a flexible and varied schedule to include extended hours (early morning and evenings), weekends and holidays as needed to support newsroom needs.
- This is a hybrid position. Employees are generally required to work in the office a minimum of three (3) days per week.
- This position is represented by the Graphics Communication Conference, IBT.
- The hourly base rate range for this role is $31.27 - $51.30, commensurate with experience.
Newsday is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and incumbents are selected, placed, trained, compensated and promoted without regard to actual or perceived sex, race, color, age, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partner status, military/veteran status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, religion or religious creed, ancestry, physical or mental disability or handicap, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other characteristic protected by law. In addition, Newsday Media Group provides a reasonable accommodation for applicants/incumbents with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation.
About Newsday Media Group
Newsday Media Group (NMG) is one of the nation’s most dynamic media organizations, serving Long Island and New York City through its portfolio of mobile and digital products, print publications and live events. With 19 Pulitzer Prizes and other esteemed awards for outstanding journalism, our mission and vision is to engage consumers and businesses by connecting them to the communities in which they live, work and play.
NMG properties include the award-winning Newsday, Newsday.com; amNewYork, New York City’s most widely circulated free daily paper along with its mobile app and amNY.com; Newsday Connect, the digital solutions company serving Long Island business owners; and Newsday Local Publishing, one of the Northeast's largest groups of weekly shopper publications.
Want to learn more about Newsday Media Group? Visit Newsday Media Group's website.
We produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands