Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), NBC’s Brian Williams, and a slew of other journalists are gathering at the Newseum on Thursday to discuss poverty as part of NBC’s “In Plain Sight” initiative. The two part event will start with Williams interviewing Rep. Ryan, who has been travelling the country recently, visiting low income neighborhoods. He has also challenged his party to adopt a new anti-poverty plan to replace what he has called the “failed” war on poverty. Then Williams will moderate a panel of journalists, including:
- David Stoeffler, Executive Editor of the Springfield News Leader in Springfield, MO
- Krissy Clark, Senior Reporter on the Wealth and Poverty Desk for “Marketplace” on American Public Media
- Susan Smith Richardson, Editor and Publisher of The Chicago Reporter
- John Sharify, reporter for KING-5 TV in Seattle, WA
They will discuss how the news media covers poverty in America. Members of the media can RSVP to Erika Masonhall at email@example.com. Press check-in will be at the main entrance.
WHAT: Poverty in America: Reporting the Story
WHO: NBC and the Newseum
WHERE: The Newseum, Walter and Leonore Annenberg Theater, 555 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC
WHEN: Thursday, January 9th, 7:30 PM
- Joe Scarborough Asks How 9-Year-Old with Uzi at Range Killed Man
- Wednesday Morning Splash
- Congressman John Boehner Explains His Duties as Speaker
- Turner Offers Voluntary Separation Plan; 'Will also undertake additional reductions in staffing'