Managing Editor of Poynter.org
- Full Time
The Poynter Institute, one of the nation’s most respected journalism organizations, is searching for a creative Managing Editor and leader to direct and inspire a team of journalists, experts and faculty in producing one of the nation’s leading media news, information and training websites. This position comes with a high level of authority and the creative freedom to make poynter.org a lively and relevant destination for those interested in media news and in the best practices of journalism.
As Managing Editor, you’ll be a collaborative partner, helping support the institute’s various digital teams, including the award-winning PolitiFact.com staff, the International Fact-Checking Network and Poynter’s expert journalists and faculty members. The Managing Editor will also work closely with the talented producers who run Poynter’s News University, which is a leading online educator for journalists. The poynter.org staff will work in tandem with the NewsU team to produce timely stories and to promote training and classes that are relevant in today’s dynamic journalistic environment.
This is an exciting time at Poynter, and this Managing Editor will play a key role in helping shape our vision of being at the top of the industry in training and ensuring that Poynter be a prominent, can’t-miss voice in the conversation about the news industry and journalism as an essential tool of democracy.
Some key traits we seek in the next Managing Editor of Poynter.org:
• A savvy idea generator with excellent news judgment.
• Discerning news consumer who understands the competitive landscape.
• Thoughtful, engaged leader who can write and edit.
• Passionate about the role journalism plays in our democracy.
• Can make tough decisions and hold themselves/others accountable.
• Full of ideas on how to engage with an audience and promote the brand.
• Well versed in audience development and social media.
• An experienced teacher or has the traits and desire to become one.
Interested candidates should send resume and letter with ideas about the web site and the job to Neil Brown, President.
No phone calls, please.
Position is in St. Petersburg, FL.
Deadline to apply: Thursday, March 1, 2018