Associate Editor, American Libraries
- Full Time
American Libraries magazine, the flagship membership publication of the American Library Association, seeks an Associate Editor to join the editorial and production team that produces the magazine, American Libraries website, American Libraries Direct e-newsletter, Dewey Decibel podcast, and other media products.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Associate Editor will be responsible for:
• Editing, fact checking, and packaging feature articles for print and online
• Reporting and writing news and event coverage for American Libraries media products
• Supporting biweekly publication of the e-newsletter
• Developing story ideas for pitch meetings
• Proofreading copy in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style and American Libraries house stylebook
• Meeting daily deadlines while balancing competing priorities in a newsroom environment
• Contributing to the magazine’s social media presence
• Recruiting and working with freelance writers and photographers
Starting salary range from the low 40s; negotiable based on experience and qualifications. ALA has an excellent benefit package that includes medical, dental, generous paid vacation, and a retirement annuity.
Apply online including a résumé, cover letter, and three writing samples.
(additional documents are uploaded on the same screen as the resume)
Send résumé, cover letter, and three writing samples to:
American Library Association
Human Resources Department
Mary Pullen, Sr. Human Resources Manager
50 East Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Disability/Veteran.
• Minimum of 3–5 years editorial experience in trade, consumer, or nonprofit media
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related area
• Master’s in library science or prior library work experience preferred
• Knowledge of basic HTML, content management systems, and the online environment
• Photoshop, InDesign, and WordPress experience a plus