It was a dizzying scene at Michael’s today. Fashion A-listers (Calvin Klein, Grace Coddington), talking heads (Piers Morgan) and the random television star (The Newsroom‘s Emily Mortimer) provided some serious people watching for the mere mortals in the dining room.
Before the crowd rushed in, I caught up with Bravolebrity Lori Zaslow in the ladies room (What can I say? I go where the news takes me ) who just wrapped her first season of Love Broker. Lori, who was with her business partner Jenn Zucher, tells me the show brought plenty of new clients looking for their soul mates and some great new business opportunities, including her new ‘love oil’ called Gravitate which is sold at Exhale Spa and a few select boutiques around town. “The show was a great experience and some great new things came our way as a result of the exposure,” Lori told me. She’ll be Katie Couric‘s guest on her new talk show on October 5. Will there be a season two of Love Broker? As they
say, stay tuned.
I was joined today by publishing powerhouse Andrew Amill, vice president of Weight Watchers Media Group. As a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, I’ve always found the plan works when you work it, and I love the weekly meetings which always have such an empowering, fun vibe. While their campaign with Jennifer Hudson (one of the greatest transformations ever!) has been a resounding success, Andy tells me that despite all the snipping in the tabloids about the company’s newest spokeswoman Jessica Simpson (who was Katie Couric‘s guest on her show’s premiere) is also doing great on the plan. Her first commercial touting her shedding her post-baby weight just hit the airwaves and her big ‘reveal’ will come in December. She’ll also be the cover girl for WeightWatchers Magazine‘s January/February issue. ”Both Jennifer and Jessica resonate with our members,” says Andy. Charles Barkley, who is the face and (newly slimmed down) body for the men’s program has given the company’s a “100 percent bump” on the men’s site.
Andy tells me weightwatchers.com is the fastest growing part of the company (6.2 million monthly uniques and 250 million page views) as the powers that be add more and more interactive features that keep members plugged into the program whereever they go. Later this year, a bar code scanner for smart phones will be introduced that will allow users to scan the UPC code of any supermarket food item and immediately get its point value. The perfect antidote to temptation, no doubt. “The technology the company has created that allows members to stay connected and motivated is outstanding,” says Andy.
Things are equally rosy on the publishing side of the company where newsstand subscriptions have reached an all-time high of 1.02 million. According to Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC), the magazine is one of the top 20 best selling magazines in America – quite an accomplishment when you consider the $4.95 cost per issue.
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
1. Hollywoodlife.com editrix Bonnie Fuller and Penske Media vice chairman Gerry Byrne, presiding over their monthly lunch with the usual mix of movers and shakers: Good Day New York’s Rosanna Scotto, designer Dee Hilfiger (yes, Tommy’s wife), Bloomberg News’ Pimm Fox, Good Afternoon America‘s Ethan Nelson, Donna Karan’s Aliza Licht, Love Broker‘s Lori Zaslow and Jenn Zucher, New York City’s chief digital officer Rachel Sterne, AEG Live’s Adam Lublin, Hilsinger-Mendelson PR’s CEO Sandi Mendelson and Hollywoodlife.com’s EVP and publisher, Carlos Lamadrid.
2. Former New York City Council president Andy Stein
4. Calvin Klein and Vogue‘s Grace Coddington. If you’ve never seen the documentary, The September Issue, which goes behind-the-scenes at the fashion bible, check it out on Netflix. Grace’s cryptic humor with famed editrix Anna Wintour made her the documentary’s break out star. Love her!
7. Yours truly and Andrew Amill
11. Brian Terkelsen
12. Diet pill diva Nikki Haskell
15. Mark Rosenthal
16. Fern Mallis
81. Joel Moser‘s wife, Wednesday Martin (Love that name!)
17. Peter Price
21. Peter Asher
24. Craig Inciardi
25. Trey Muldrow
27. Literary agent Lucianne Goldberg and three gal pals
29. The Wall Street Journal‘s Anthony Cenname
Faces in the crowd: Liz Wood, in for her monthly trip from Washington, D.C…. ‘The Bar-ette” Kira Semler and Vi Huse, enjoying their champagne lunch at the bar… Ed Adler and Richard Bilotti in the Garden Room.
Please send comments and corrections to LUNCH at MEDIABISTRO dot COM.
- Fern Mallis and One Criminally Dressed Designer | Dishing With a Global Ambassador
- The Media Mob Featuring Bob Barnett and Jack Kliger | Disney's Fabulous New Foodie
- Exclusive: David Zinczenko on AMI's New Deal | Ousted Obama Insider Turns Heads
- Tom Brokaw and the Inside Track From New York's Democratic National Committeeman