FishbowlDC TVNewser TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser GalleyCat SocialTimes

Posts Tagged ‘Fox News’

Morning Media Newsfeed: NBC News Reups Williams | Jana Winter Joins The Intercept

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Brian Williams Signs New Deal With NBC (TVNewser)
NBC’s Brian Williams, who just celebrated 10 years as anchor of NBC Nightly News, has signed a new long-term deal with the network. THR Saying that he has “renewed his commitment” to the network’s news division, NBC News president Deborah Turness said in a staff memo that he will continue to serve as anchor and managing editor of the nightly broadcast “for years to come.” LA Times Though Williams will acknowledge only that it’s a long-term deal, insiders at the network say it will keep him at the helm of NBC Nightly News for at least five more years. He didn’t disclose his financial compensation, but it’s said to be more than $10 million a year. CNNMoney He is presently the longest-serving nightly news anchor, competing every weeknight against David Muir, who just took over ABC’s World News three months ago, and Scott Pelley, who became the anchor of the CBS Evening News three years ago. NYT The news ratings have been more competitive over the last year. This past summer, ABC’s newscast edged ahead of NBC for a number of weeks among the viewers most sought by news advertisers, those from the ages of 25 to 54. Williams continues to win virtually every week among total viewers, averaging more than 9 million a night, the program’s best total in almost a decade. In recent weeks he has also moved ahead again among the 25-54 group.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Middle Grade Novel Writing

Middle Grade Novel WritingStarting January 15, work with a literary agent to write your middle-grade novel! In this course, you'll learn how to develop strong characters, write compelling dialogue, master the art of revision, and market your work to publishing houses and agents. Register now!

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony Hackers Make Demands | Pulitzer Prizes Expand Eligibility

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Sony Hackers Leak New Documents, Call for The Interview to Be Pulled (THR)
For the first time since Sony Pictures was hacked two weeks ago, the group behind the massive breach appears to making its demands known to the public. The group calling itself Guardians of Peace (GOP) posted the following message on Monday: “Stop immediately showing the movie of terrorism which can break the regional peace and cause the War!” Variety GOP did not specifically identify the movie. Authorities have been investigating whether the hacker attack is in some way be connected to The Interview, the movie that has generated condemnation from the government of North Korea. The message from GOP said that they “have given our clear demand to the management team of Sony, however they have refused…You, SONY, & FBI, cannot find us.” WSJ / Digits Representatives for the studio have said Sony Pictures leaders have not received any demands from the hacking group. Further muddying the situation, the letter received on Monday also claimed that the hacking group was not responsible for a letter received by Sony Pictures employees Friday that threatened them and their families. “We know nothing about the threatening email received by Sony staffers, but you should wisely judge by yourself why such things are happening and who is responsible for it,” it said. Re/code North Korea has denied any connection with the devastating attack on the studio, but in a statement issued Sunday by the Korean Central News Agency, the country called the attack a “righteous deed.” Sony Pictures suffered one of the worst cyber attacks in recent memory after intruders claim to have made off with as much as 100 terabytes of internal information including salaries, social security numbers, passwords, sales plans and four unreleased feature films. THR Sony employees will be briefed by the FBI over the attack on the studio, Sony Pictures Entertainment chief Michael Lynton told staff in a memo. He also revealed the FBI had created an email address dedicated to the case, to which employees could send information. Lynton also announced there would be an all-hands meeting on Friday to discuss the issue.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Crowley to Leave CNN | Mass Exodus at TNR, Issue Canned

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Candy Crowley Leaving CNN (TVNewser)
Candy Crowley, a 27-year CNN veteran, is leaving the network. The move was announced in an email from CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker. FishbowlDC Crowley’s career at CNN began in 1987 as a political correspondent, where she covered a handful of successful and unsuccessful presidential campaigns, including those of Pat Buchanan, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Ronald Reagan and Mitt Romney, among others. In 2012, she became the first woman to moderate a presidential debate. THR Crowley currently serves as CNN’s chief political correspondent and anchor of its Sunday morning show State of The Union With Candy Crowley. Staffing has been relatively stable at CNN over the last year. Though the arrival of Zucker marked several departures, politicos James Carville and Mary Matalin among them, other changes have been gradual. Piers Morgan notably left after sinking ratings for his 9 p.m. telecast earlier in 2014. Capital New York Crowley, Zucker wrote, “has let us know that she has made the decision to move on… As difficult as it is for us to imagine CNN without Candy, we know that she comes to this decision thoughtfully, she has our full support,” the email said. The reason for Crowley’s departure was not made clear. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Zucker did not mention who would replace Crowley on State of The Union. The network will be keeping the show, a spokesperson confirmed.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Big Changes at TNR | CBS, Dish Deadline Passes Without Blackout

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Big Changes at The New Republic (FishbowlNY)
In this, the New Republic’s 100th year, a new direction. FishbowlDC Franklin Foer, editor of TNR, sent out a staff email Thursday announcing his resignation from the magazine. Capital New York Literary editor Leon Wieseltier is also out. Gabriel Snyder, a former editor of The Atlantic Wire and most recently a digital adviser at Bloomberg, has been tapped to succeed Foer, TNR chief executive Guy Vidra wrote in an email to staff. Furthermore, the magazine will be reducing its frequency from 20 to 10 issues a year, moving from Washington D.C. to an office in New York City’s Union Square and “making some changes to staff structure,” Vidra added. HuffPost Speculation had run rampant that Foer might leave the magazine, which he returned to edit in 2012 following its sale to Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes. Some staffers fear that Hughes and chief executive Vidra are too focused on increasing Web traffic, and that such a strategy could pull the magazine away from its legacy of narrative journalism and criticism. In his memo to staff Thursday, Foer acknowledged the competing plans for the magazine’s future. “Chris and Guy have significant plans for this place,” he wrote. “And their plans and my own vision for TNR meaningfully diverge.” Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Hughes bought TNR in 2012 at the age of 28 with ambitions of restoring its esteemed place in Washington media. Instead, TNR failed to hire marquee names, struggled to attract advertisers and failed to gain a prominent place in the conversation.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Snyderman Apologizes on Air | Elliott Takes NYT Buyout

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

snyderman

Dr. Nancy Snyderman Apologizes: ‘Good People Can Make Mistakes’ (TVNewser)
Dr. Nancy Snyderman returned to NBC News Wednesday morning to report a story on depression in America. But the segment began with Matt Lauer pressing her on why she violated a voluntary quarantine following an Ebola reporting trip to Liberia. PRNewser Rather than just saying she was sorry for breaking the rules, she and Lauer got more specific about what exactly went wrong. Besides “scaring my community,” she says she was guilty of “adding to the confusion of terms.” THR Snyderman initially apologized for her team violating its voluntary quarantine, but now, almost two months later, she’s admitted that she, herself, broke the rules and apologized for that. “I’m very sorry for…scaring my community and the country,” she said on Wednesday’s Today, later adding, “I stepped outside the boundaries of what I promised to do and what was expected of me and for that I’m sorry.” HuffPost Snyderman had been absent from the network since October after traveling to Liberia with an NBC News crew — which included cameraman Ashoka Mukpo, a former Ebola patient — and then failing to voluntarily confine herself to a 21-day quarantine. Her actions caused outrage and heightening fear among the public after discovery that her colleague had contracted the virus. Snyderman issued a statement shortly after breaking quarantine in October, but questions lingered about the date of her return to the network (or whether she would return at all). Variety Snyderman’s colleague eventually recovered from the disease, and Snyderman and the rest of her team remained symptom-free. Wednesday, she added that she hopes her mistake hasn’t drawn attention from the bigger story.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony Probes North Korea Link to Hack | Ex-CBC Host Charged

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Sony Pictures Investigates North Korea Link in Hack (Re/code)
Sony Pictures Entertainment is exploring the possibility that hackers working on behalf of North Korea, perhaps operating out of China, may be behind a devastating attack that brought the studio’s network to a screeching halt last week, sources familiar with the matter said. Mashable The thinking is that the hack may be in response to Sony’s upcoming film, The Interview, which is premised on a plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The comedy, which is set to be released on Christmas Day, stars Seth Rogen and James Franco who play entertainment journalists recruited by the CIA to kill Kim after it comes out the two men are planning an interview with the North Korean leader. THR North Korea has been vociferous in its complaints about the film and even called the movie an “act of war” in a letter to the United Nations. This isn’t the first time North Korea has also threatened retaliation for something that it didn’t like or felt was insulting. In July, a Chinese viral video led to Pyongyang demanding the video be taken down and action taken against the makers. And in September, North Korea slammed the makers of the documentary Opposite Number and called on the U.K. to punish those behind that project. NYT One person with knowledge of the situation said a Hollywood executive from a company other than Sony had contacted Homeland Security to suggest that the attack might be related to a piracy investigation involving a movie that was not even made by Sony. But the department was not mobilized as a result of the query. The attack apparently did not use sophisticated techniques that might be expected from a hostile government. Rather, it employed a common form of so-called ransomware, according to a security researcher with knowledge of the breach, who did not have permission to speak publicly about the findings. Variety At least five new movies from Sony Pictures are being devoured on copyright-infringing file-sharing hubs online in the wake of the hack attack. Copies of DVD screeners of four unreleased Sony movies including the upcoming Annie are getting some unwelcome early exposure, but nothing compared with the frenzy enveloping Fury, the war pic still in theaters that bowed in October.

Read more

Howard Kurtz Assails New York Times for ‘Reckless Move’

ShutterstockTimesSquareProtester1124Heading into the Thanksgiving holiday, media critics continue to question the wherewithal of New York Times editors with regards to this week’s article “A Quiet Wedding for Darren Wilson.” Although the report by Julie Bosman and Campbell Robertson, posted ahead of the Grandy Jury verdict announcement, hints that the police officer and his wife have essentially vacated the referenced property, it’s still extremely surprising that the paper, at this late press time, has yet to redact the pinpoint-his-whereabouts information. The paper has only removed an equally careless image of Wilson’s marriage license, which revealed the full name of the officer’s wife.

From Howard Kurtz‘s op-ed:

The New York Times, whether consciously or not, has just endangered Darren Wilson’s life.

With tensions running high in Ferguson over the lack of an indictment for Wilson’s killing of Michael Brown, the paper has published the officer’s approximate address – the street and town where he lives with his new wife, who also is named.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: 16 Million Watch Ferguson Grand Jury | Orman to Leave CNBC

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

16 Million Tune in to Cable News for Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement (TVNewser)
The news surrounding the grand jury’s decision in the Darren Wilson case gave cable news channels a ratings surge Monday. While the decision had been reached by mid-afternoon, news channels had seven hours to consider the result as it was not announced until the 9 p.m. ET hour, when daytime viewership peaked. Capital New York During the 9 p.m. hour, when the decision was revealed, Fox News averaged 7.26 million total viewers, including 2.19 million adults 25 to 54. CNN averaged 6.26 million total viewers, including 3.16 million adults 25-54, and MSNBC averaged 2.20 million total viewers, including 742,000 adults aged 25 to 54. Mediaite The peak for CNN came not at 9 p.m. when the decision was announced, but instead during the second half of the 10 p.m. hour when the network reached 3.558 million demo viewers. With 7.256 million viewers during the 9 p.m. hour, Fox’s The Kelly File was the overall winner for the night. Variety Both The Kelly File and Hannity scored all-time highs in terms of overall viewers and audience in the advertiser-desired demo of 25 to 54. CNN’s Anderson Cooper was able to trump Fox News’ Megyn Kelly in the 25-to-54 demo at 9 p.m. In late-night viewership, CNN lured more viewers overall and in the demo at both 11 p.m. and midnight, according to Nielsen. THR / The Live Feed Many TV networks chimed in, with some broadcast nets interrupting primetime with President Obama’s remarks on the matter and each of the cable news outlets covering it well into the night. Some segments from the center of the embattled town even got too close, with CNN’s Sara Sidner being hit with a rock on air.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Journalists Cover Ferguson Grand Jury | Sony Pictures Hacked

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Ferguson Grand Jury Decision: How The Cable Networks Covered It (THR)
White Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson was not indicted in the shooting death of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown. The cable networks have been covering the lead-up since Monday afternoon and carried the announcement live. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Nearly every major news organization had reporters on the ground, some with upward of two dozen staffers. High profile anchors like Jake Tapper, Don Lemon and Chris Hayes have also been dispatched to cover the grand jury decision and any resulting turmoil. The major broadcast and cable networks, The Washington Post, The Associated Press, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Huffington Post, Reuters, USA Today, The Daily Caller and BuzzFeed all have reporters on the ground, and some have sent additional photographers and videographers as well. TVNewser As President Obama called for calm, angry protesters tried to flip a police cruiser. Less than an hour after the President’s remarks, that police cruiser was on fire. Police told CNN correspondent Jason Carroll and his crew to leave the scene as live rounds in the cruiser started going off. Mediaite Before St. Louis prosecutor Bob McCulloch announced that there would be no indictment for Wilson in the shooting death of Brown, he spent a few minutes railing against the media for its role in the process leading up to Monday night’s announcement. “The most significant challenge encountered in this investigation has been the 24-hour news cycle and its insatiable appetite for something, for anything to talk about,” he said, “following closely behind with the non-stop rumors on social media.” TVNewser As CNN coverage from Ferguson moved into the 10 p.m. ET hour, Anderson Cooper passed off to Don Lemon, who appeared on camera wearing a gas mask on his forehead. Within moments, canisters of gas were thrown into the streets as police moved in and pushed away crowds of protesters. Chris Cuomo, who was live with gas flowing toward his camera position, threw back to Lemon, who was wearing the mask over his face — gas swirling in the air behind him — and was unable to continue. He asked for water. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media ABC News anchor George Stephanopoulos is currently poised to land the first interview with Wilson. TVNewser The announcement came a day after CNN’s Brian Stelter reported a collection of network news anchors had met privately with Wilson. Variety Stephanopoulos prepared to offer a special report on ABC News Monday night. NBC News’ Brian Williams and CBS News’ Scott Pelley anchored special reports covering the announcement.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Aereo Files for Bankruptcy | MSNBC Hires Ex-WH Staffer

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Aereo Files for Bankruptcy (TVSpy)
With a post on the company’s blog Friday morning, Aereo founder and CEO Chet Kanojia announced the company had filed for bankruptcy protection. THR The digital TV service, which broadcast network owners battled in courts for offering access to broadcast TV signals via digital devices, made a voluntary Chapter 11 filing, it said in the statement. “We encountered significant challenges from the incumbent media companies,” said Kanojia in the statement. Mashable Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection is typically expensive and allows for the company to restructure its debt. While filing for bankruptcy does not necessarily mean the end of the business, Kanojia struck a tone in a statement on Aereo’s website that insinuated the company was done. Variety New York-based Aereo had raised about $97 million, from investors including IAC chairman Barry Diller, media investor Gordon Crawford, Himalaya Capital Management, Highland Capital Partners and FirstMark Capital. Earlier this month Aereo laid off a majority of its staff, including employees in New York and Boston. The company said a small executive team of about a dozen people would remain. GigaOM Aereo’s bankruptcy petition shows it owes roughly $2 million to a list of creditors that include Internet companies like Level 3 and Google, as well as several law firms. But the most significant creditors on the list are names like ABC and Fox, the TV networks that are continuing to sue Aereo over copyright infringement. Aereo’s filing simply states “unknown” in the amount owed to the “litigation party” TV stations, which also include PBS, Telemundo and NBC.

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>