FishbowlDC TVNewser TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser GalleyCat SocialTimes

Posts Tagged ‘npr’

Morning Media Newsfeed: White House Talks Sony Attack | Abrams to Leave Nightline

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

White House Approaching Sony Hack as ‘National Security Issue’ (THR)
During a press briefing in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said that the hacking of Sony’s internal computer system has become a “national security issue” involving federal law enforcement and diplomatic personnel. Earnest also confirmed revelations from the latest batch of internal Sony emails released by the hackers that two members of the administration had screened “a rough cut” of The Interview – the impending release of which may have prompted the attack — at Sony’s request, but Earnest said Thursday that they had made no recommendations about changes or how to proceed. Time Earnest said there have been a number of daily meetings at the White House about the hack, and that there are “a range of options that are under consideration right now” for a response. Earnest would not rule out a U.S. cyber counterattack on those behind the Sony hack, saying officials are mindful of the need for a “proportional response.” The Washington Post Public attribution of the attack could come as early as this week, one national security official said. U.S. intelligence officials have concluded that the government of Kim Jong Un is behind the attack. North Korea has publicly denied involvement. The attack came in apparent retaliation for Sony’s planned Christmas Day release of The Interview, a comedy built around the assassination of the North Korean leader. PRNewser The group (or country) behind the massive Sony hack sent out a warning that there would be repercussions for any theater that shows The Interview on its screens. Right away, the largest theater companies, from AMC Entertainment to Regal Entertainment and beyond, said they wouldn’t show the film. So Sony killed the whole thing. The outrage from Hollywood has been fast and furious on Twitter, with many expressing anger and disappointment that there wouldn’t be a bigger stand for freedom of expression. Deadline Sony has no plans to release the film anywhere for the foreseeable future. The news comes despite the lack — at least in public — of the same kind of terrorist threat against Sony’s international operations as was made against the studio’s U.S. release. The Interview had been set to open across all major European territories in January and February. Those plans are now off.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Middle Grade Novel Writing

Middle Grade Novel WritingStarting January 15, work with a literary agent to write your middle-grade novel! In this course, you'll learn how to develop strong characters, write compelling dialogue, master the art of revision, and market your work to publishing houses and agents. Register now!

NPR Adds Tasneem Raja as Senior Digital Editor

NPR has hired Tasneem Raja as a senior digital editor in its Identity and Culture Unit. Raja comes to NPR from Mother Jones, where she served as a senior editor. Prior to that she was part of the Bay Citizen’s launch team.

“As a multi-skilled journalist, Tasneem is a knock-out,” wrote NPR’s Carline Watson and Lynette Clemetson, in a memo. “She’s a deft and insightful reporter, writer and editor. She loves storytelling and the dazzling array of forms it can take. She’s skilled at moving ideas to the right platforms in the right ways. She codes. She builds. She shares. She mentors.  And she has an intricate knowledge of – and passion for – the media space around race, ethnicity, culture and identity.”

Raja joins NPR at the end of January.

You can read Watson and Clemetson’s full note below.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony Pulls The Interview | 21st Century Fox Acquires TrueX

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

9/11 Threats From Sony Hackers Cause Company to Drop The Interview (FishbowlNY)
In light of the recent threats of violence from those responsible for the ongoing cyber attacks against Sony Pictures (aka the “Guardians of Peace”), the company has decided to pull the plug on Seth Rogen and James Franco‘s latest movie, The Interview. The film was scheduled to premiere nationwide on Christmas day. PRNewser Tuesday, the hackers’ threats turned to violence, invoking 9/11 and implying that someone would attack theaters screening The Interview. The movie’s planned New York premiere was subsequently cancelled. Rogen and Franco also cancelled all further press dates. Time American officials have determined the government of North Korea is connected to the hack, a U.S. official confirmed Wednesday. Much remains unclear about the nature of North Korea’s involvement. The country, while lauding the hack against Sony, has denied being behind it. There were conflicting reports Wednesday evening, and officials are expected to unveil their findings Thursday. THR Sony decided to pull The Interview from all theaters Wednesday in response to the decision by the country’s major chains not to show the film. The country’s top five theater chains — Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment — chose to pull The Interview from their theaters Wednesday. Variety Sony is weighing releasing the film on premium video-on-demand, according to an insider. That would allow the studio to recoup some of the film’s $42 million budget and tens of millions in promotion and advertising expenditures. It would also enable the studio to experiment with the potential of VOD, something it has been hesitant to do at the risk of angering major exhibitors. TheWrap Wednesday, New Regency pulled the plug on its Steve Carell movie Pyongyang, which Gore Verbinski had been prepping for a March start date. Based on the graphic novel by Guy Delisle, Pyongyang is a paranoid thriller about a Westerner’s experiences working in North Korea for a year.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Snyderman Apologizes on Air | Elliott Takes NYT Buyout

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

snyderman

Dr. Nancy Snyderman Apologizes: ‘Good People Can Make Mistakes’ (TVNewser)
Dr. Nancy Snyderman returned to NBC News Wednesday morning to report a story on depression in America. But the segment began with Matt Lauer pressing her on why she violated a voluntary quarantine following an Ebola reporting trip to Liberia. PRNewser Rather than just saying she was sorry for breaking the rules, she and Lauer got more specific about what exactly went wrong. Besides “scaring my community,” she says she was guilty of “adding to the confusion of terms.” THR Snyderman initially apologized for her team violating its voluntary quarantine, but now, almost two months later, she’s admitted that she, herself, broke the rules and apologized for that. “I’m very sorry for…scaring my community and the country,” she said on Wednesday’s Today, later adding, “I stepped outside the boundaries of what I promised to do and what was expected of me and for that I’m sorry.” HuffPost Snyderman had been absent from the network since October after traveling to Liberia with an NBC News crew — which included cameraman Ashoka Mukpo, a former Ebola patient — and then failing to voluntarily confine herself to a 21-day quarantine. Her actions caused outrage and heightening fear among the public after discovery that her colleague had contracted the virus. Snyderman issued a statement shortly after breaking quarantine in October, but questions lingered about the date of her return to the network (or whether she would return at all). Variety Snyderman’s colleague eventually recovered from the disease, and Snyderman and the rest of her team remained symptom-free. Wednesday, she added that she hopes her mistake hasn’t drawn attention from the bigger story.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: 16 Million Watch Ferguson Grand Jury | Orman to Leave CNBC

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

16 Million Tune in to Cable News for Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement (TVNewser)
The news surrounding the grand jury’s decision in the Darren Wilson case gave cable news channels a ratings surge Monday. While the decision had been reached by mid-afternoon, news channels had seven hours to consider the result as it was not announced until the 9 p.m. ET hour, when daytime viewership peaked. Capital New York During the 9 p.m. hour, when the decision was revealed, Fox News averaged 7.26 million total viewers, including 2.19 million adults 25 to 54. CNN averaged 6.26 million total viewers, including 3.16 million adults 25-54, and MSNBC averaged 2.20 million total viewers, including 742,000 adults aged 25 to 54. Mediaite The peak for CNN came not at 9 p.m. when the decision was announced, but instead during the second half of the 10 p.m. hour when the network reached 3.558 million demo viewers. With 7.256 million viewers during the 9 p.m. hour, Fox’s The Kelly File was the overall winner for the night. Variety Both The Kelly File and Hannity scored all-time highs in terms of overall viewers and audience in the advertiser-desired demo of 25 to 54. CNN’s Anderson Cooper was able to trump Fox News’ Megyn Kelly in the 25-to-54 demo at 9 p.m. In late-night viewership, CNN lured more viewers overall and in the demo at both 11 p.m. and midnight, according to Nielsen. THR / The Live Feed Many TV networks chimed in, with some broadcast nets interrupting primetime with President Obama’s remarks on the matter and each of the cable news outlets covering it well into the night. Some segments from the center of the embattled town even got too close, with CNN’s Sara Sidner being hit with a rock on air.

Read more

NPR Namesake Cherry Glazerr Rolls On

CherylGlazerPicEarlier this year, Chery Glaser (pictured), the LA-embedded local host of NPR’s Morning Edition on KCRW, interviewed members of a local rock trio that named themselves after her. She began the conversation by throwing to a song from the band with: “I’m Chery Glaser, and believe it or not, this is also Cherry Glazerr…”

Nine months later, per a pair of items by LA Times reporter Todd Martens, things are rolling along for the teenage band consisting of Clementine Creevy, Hannah Uribe and Sean Redman:

Creevy has been managing the band herself and says the group is self-sufficient enough that she can afford to move out when she turns 18, though she intends to live at home and save money.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Condé Nast Moves to 1 WTC | Car Talk’s Tom Magliozzi Dies at 77

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Condé Nast Moves to 1 World Trade Center (FishbowlNY)
The first wave of Condé Nast staffers settled into their new digs at 1 World Trade Center Monday morning. THR Thirteen years after the 9/11 terrorist attack, the resurrected World Trade Center, a 104-story, $3.9 billion skyscraper that dominates the Manhattan skyline, is opening for business, marking an emotional milestone for both New Yorkers and the nation. The publishing giant becomes the first commercial tenant in America’s tallest building. Mashable The building is currently just 60 percent leased. About 170 employees of Condé Nast’s 3,400 workers moved into the skyscraper. The rest of the company, which signed a 25-year lease for 1 million square feet, will move there in 2015. New York Post The sparkling new building is the tallest in the Western Hemisphere. It had originally been slated to open in 2006, but cost overruns and political infighting led to delays. Other new tenants include the General Services Administration and the ad firm Kids Creative. NYT The workers that began Monday are what Condé Nast calls corporate employees, meaning that they do not work for any one of its magazines in particular. Some work in human relations, some in accounting. Glamour? It will come later, as will Vogue, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker and Condé Nast’s other magazines.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Atlantic Partners With NewsHour | DWA Earnings Beat Estimates

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

The Atlantic Partners With PBS NewsHour (FishbowlNY)
The Atlantic is partnering with PBS’ NewsHour to produce broadcast adaptations of the magazine’s work. 10,000 Words In a statement, the two news organizations said: NewsHour and The Atlantic plan to broadcast reports on a wide range of topics over the next six months. The partnership combines the strengths and sensibilities of both brands: The Atlantic’s ideas-driven journalism on issues of import, and the editorial depth and broadcast expertise of PBS NewsHour. FishbowlDC The Atlantic’s partnership with NewsHour marks the magazine’s first ongoing broadcast venture. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media The first report, which aired Wednesday night, is based on the Atlantic’s November-issue cover story about the spread of teenage sexting and its societal and legal consequences. The Atlantic’s Hanna Rosin reported the NewsHour piece with anchor Judy Woodruff. Variety The stories will run online at PBS.org/NewsHour and TheAtlantic.com. Sara Just, a veteran of ABC News, joined PBS NewsHour as its executive producer earlier this year.

Read more

NPR is Opening a South Korea Bureau

EliseHuPicElise Hu (pictured) has just landed one of the best jobs in American radio journalism. One that didn’t previously exist.

Beginning sometime next year, Hu will cover South Korea and Japan for NPR. Based out of the public radio service’s first-ever permanent Seoul posting, complementing the work being done out of Beijing, Shanghai, New Delhi and Islamabad. From today’s announcement:

Hu, who covers the intersection of technology and culture for NPR’s on-air, online and multimedia platforms, will take on a new role as NPR’s Seoul reporter.

“We are delighted to announce the opening of a bureau in Seoul,” said NPR’s acting senior vice president of news, Christopher Turpin. “This continues the tradition of NPR’s international coverage that goes beyond the headlines to bring strong voices and well told stories to our listeners at home, providing the necessary context to understand how world events affect our daily lives.”

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: ISIS Releases New Cantlie Video | Condé Nast Reshuffles Digital

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

New ISIS Video Shows Hostage John Cantlie Allegedly Reporting From Kobani (Vice News)
In a new video published Monday, British photojournalist John Cantlie, who is now being held hostage by the Islamic State after being kidnapped in Syria in 2012, appears to be reporting from the city of Kobani on the Syrian-Turkish border, which has been the stage to an ongoing battle between the militants and Kurdish forces. HuffPost The five-minute video, which is titled “Inside Ayn al-Islam,” shows Cantlie walking in front of destroyed buildings in what appears to be Kobani. After mentioning international reports of Islamic State losses in the battle for the town, Cantlie says Kobani is about to fall completely into the militants’ hands. NBC News But U.S. counterterrorism officials said that while the undated video apparently was shot in Kobani, Cantlie’s assertion that ISIS controls large swathes of the city is false. “We don’t know when this was recorded,” said one official, who like the others spoke on condition of anonymity. “But to suggest that the ISIL (another acronym for ISIS) is in control of the city now is not accurate.” Mashable It’s widely assumed that Cantlie, who’s appeared in at least five propaganda videos since he disappeared, is reading from remarks that were prepared by his captors. Having rid the region of all independent journalists, it appears the group is now attempting to broadcast its own twisted form of journalism. The Guardian The video comes two days after the release of another video, in which Cantlie said that captives have been waterboarded for trying to escape.

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>