In one of the most complicated internet marketing techniques to befall the snack industry in history, Doritos and their “late night” brand is debuting new, high-tech music videos from Rihanna and other artists around the globe (including British rapper Professor Green). How one goes about accessing Rihanna’s video for her latest single, “Who’s That Chick?”:
1. Buy (or steal) a bag of one of Doritos late night flavors. You may choose between “Last Call Jalapeno Popper” or “Tacos at Midnight.” A flask of tequila is not included.
2. Find the “special marker” on the back of the bag.
3. Visit the DoritosLateNight website. It will ask you to upgrade to the latest version of Flash. During installation, my Firefox browser shut down, and the website reopened in Safari. It was surprising.
4. Show the “special marker” on the bag to your webcam. If you do not have a webcam for your computer, enjoy your Doritos.
5. Congratulations! You can now watch the new Rihanna music video.
As if that process wasn’t interactive enough, the Goodby-created “Who’s That Chick?” video is available in day or night editions, while the AMV BBDO-produced video for Professor Green’s “Coming to Get Me” was filmed using a special 360-degree camera, allowing viewers to lend a hand in directing the video for their own viewing experience. “Coming to Get Me” and credits after the jump.
Creative Type: Digital
Agency: AMV BBDO
Project Doritos Late Night
Client: Sam Hinchliffe, Doritos Brand Manager
Creative Agency: AMV BBDO
Copywriter: Prabs Wignarajah
Art Director: Jeremy Tribe
Agency Planner: Nicola Davies
TV Producer: Suzy MacGregor
Media Agency: OMD
Media Planner: Gemma Podmore
Production Company: Partizan
Director: Chris Cairns
Production Co. Producer: Martin Poyner
Post-production Company: The Mill
Audio Post-production: Will Cohen
Exposure: Doritoslatenight.com, YouTube, Facebook
- We Hear: Mello Yello to Ames Scullin O’Haire?
- Huge Parties It Up for Crate and Barrel
- 22squared Uses Singing Sloth to 'Save the Americans'
- All Ford Wants for Christmas is You in New Spot from Blue Hive Brazil