If you advertise on Twitter, you know that there are many targeting options to consider. And today, Twitter has added to that list, with keyword targeting that happens in real time.
This is not only a boon for advertisers, it’s a creepy reminder that when you’re online, you ARE the target.
Twitter announced the change on its advertising blog: “Until today, the content of Tweets has only been one factor among many in shaping the interest graph. Today, it becomes a first-class citizen.”
And in an email sent to current advertisers, Twitter shares that this new “keyword targeting in timeline” allows advertisers to “detect and act upon those signals to drive business results” – in real time.
Here’s how it works. You can reach users at the right time and in the right context based on keywords in their Tweets and the Tweets they’ve recently engaged with. Simply specify the keywords you want to target and then add on targeting for location, device and gender.
Travel brands can target newlyweds tweeting about their prospective honeymoon plans.
Retailers can place discounts in front of fashionistas who engage with Tweets showing the latest designer jeans.
- Bakeries can reach the hungry guy or gal who just tweeted about their afternoon snack craving.
And here’s how it looks!
Pretty cool, hmm?
Important to note: To use this new feature, you need to switch from the “general” Twitter ads interface to “advanced” – and once you make this switch, you can’t go back.
Here’s a table comparing the two:
And if you decide to switch, you can learn more here.
Be sure to let us know how it goes!
(Target image from Shutterstock)
- Social Media Advertising: Myth Busted [INFOGRAPHIC]
- UK Social Ad Spend to Reach £1 Billion in 2015 [STUDY]
- Twitter Ads Now Available in 11 New Countries, Including Italy, Mexico, Belgium and the Netherlands
- Twitter Ads Launch in 12 New Markets, Including Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Ukraine