Verizon lost a court battle this week, when the FCC fined the phone carrier $1.25 million and determined that the company must allow customers to use mobile phone tethering apps.
It might take a little while before tethering apps show up in the Android Market on Verizon phones, but to help you prepare and tether you’re Verizon phone, we’ve put together a list of apps that can help. Below we’ve listed five tethering apps along with descriptions and links to the app’s listing in Google Play.
5 Apps To Tether Your Android Phone
1. Easy Tether: “Tether to Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, ps3, wii, xbox. No root. No tether fees. RUN THE APP ON THE PHONE, FOLLOW THE SETUP WIZARD…Shares your phone Internet connection with computer/laptop/notebook (Windows 7/Vista/XP 64-bit/32-bit, Mac OS X 10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7, Ubuntu 10.4+, Fedora 13+). EasyTether works via USB.”
2. Wi-Fi Tethering: “Share your 3G/4G Internet connection with Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, PS3, Wii, Xbox. No tether fees.”
3. ClockworkMod Tether: “Tether. Internet Anywhere. Without Root. ClockworkMod Tether is a USB tether solution for Mac, Windows, and Linux that allows you to use your phone’s data connection to get internet access on your desktop or laptop.”
4. Wireless Tether for Root Users: “Clients (your laptop for example) can connect via wifi or bluetooth and get access to the internet using the mobile connection (4G, 3G, 2G) or (in case you are using bluetooth) the wifi connection which is established by the handset. Wifi-tethering creates a so called adhoc (peer-to-peer) network on most devices. Infrastructure-mode is suppported for some devices – including the HTC Evo for instance.”
5. FoxFi (WiFi Tether w/o Root): “Turns your Android phone into free WiFi Hotspot – no rooting or tether plan required. Just install and turn it on. Bluetooth mode works for all phones. WiFi mode currently works on most Samsung/Motorola/LG phones and new HTC phones with Android 4.0 (HTC One etc). WiFi mode does NOT work on Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Triumph, Samsung Admire, LG Revolution or older HTC phones, use Bluetooth mode instead.”
- New Flickr App Update Comes With Live Video Filters
- In the Future, Google Chromebooks Can Be Unlocked With Your Smartphones
- Evernote's Moleskin: A Business Analog to Digital Notebook with Plenty of Space for Play
- TL;DR Wikipedia Shortens Long-Form Entries for Humorous, Mobile Browsing