Quotes of the Day — the Oscar edition
Oscar coverage, attendance
“I just used a port-a-potty while wearing a tux. #glamour#oscars” — WaPo‘s Dan Zak.
“I love that my ticket for the Oscars tonight specifies ‘formal’ attire.” — Garance Franke-Ruta, senior editor, The Atlantic, whose work in ACT UP, the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power, was made into an Oscar-nominated documentary, “How to Survive a Plague.”
Editor dreads need for reading glasses
“Getting gray hair didn’t bother me. Hitting 40 was no big deal. But new realization that reading glasses are necessary isn’t sitting well.” — The Hill‘s Managing Editor Bob Cusack.
Sighting: rapper at DCA
“SPOTTED – @2chainz at DCA Washington Reagan National Airport this morning #DMV” — Marky Mark, a.k.a. Mark Wilkins, DC Celebrity. 2 Chainz’ real name is Tauheed Epps. His previous nickname was Tity Boi.
Dana Perino: a slave to travel size products
“On our way to the Oscars.” – Former Rep. Dennis Kucinich, with wife, Elizabeth.
D.C. Oscar Observers
- “Reese Witherspoon says she let her 13-year-old pick out her dress. It shows.” — Roll Call’s Meredith Shiner.
- “Seacrest, you really don’t need to stoop down to talk to Little Q.” — Conservative freelancer Lisa De Pasquale.
- “I know everyone loves her… but every time Kerry Washington opens her mouth and I’m watching, I swear I lose brain cells.” — D.C. socialite Katherine Kennedy.
- “It is now time for me to turn off and stow electronic devices. BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SEE WHAT ANNE HATHAWAY IS WEARING? Ugh.” — The Daily Caller‘s Taylor Bigler.
- “Somebody get a box for Ryan Seacrest to stand on.” — Paul Brandus, of West Wing Reports and a columnist for The Week.
- “Whoever is pregnant lady in the black lace cap sleeve dress, it suits you vvery nicely. you are w/channiing tatum who suits well too. #Oscar.” — NPR’s Kitty Eisele.
- “OMG, Beasts of the Southern Wild won’t win because it’s too good to win, too good for this world!” — NYT‘s Jonathan Weisman.
- “John Travolta introducing the muscials tribute is pretty gay.” — BuzzFeed‘s Chris Geidner.
Splish Splash…“Just gave the one-week-old a bath. To thank me, she drenched me with urine.” — BuzzFeed Political Editor McKay Coppins.
Um, use the rear entrance
“TONIGHT: Fashion Industry Sunday Party in DC at Huxley w/sexy deep house and live sax. Open bar 8-9pm! Use rear entrance, knock twice!” — Real Housewives of D.C.’s favorite stylist Paul Wharton.
D.C. journo finds a new pet peeve and more D.C. scribes offer Oscar observations, some are even worth reading…
Reporter pissed at strangers on Metro
“I like to believe there is a special place in hell for people who don’t walk down the escalator when metro trains are arriving.” — USA Today‘s Susan Davis.
Rove, Rubin, think NBC’s Gregory is awful
Karl Rove: “On MTP MA Gov Patrick said Obama has laid out sequester plan. Also untrue was his wild libel GOP top priority is to ‘slow down recovery.’ Host David Gregory let the slander go unchallenged.”
Rubin: “He always does.. The. worst. Sunday. host. ever.”
More Oscar fallout…
Seth MacFarlane allegedly bombing:
“Oh my god, can they just give awards out? This is painful. #oscars” — WSJ‘s Amy Schatz.
“Please just get to the awards already. #Oscar2013″ — CNN’s Don Lemon.
“Oscars so far looking very much like they were slapped together this morning.” — WSJ‘s Neil Hickey. And this: “Americans are so clever and acerbic, it boggles the mind why they keep screwing up the #Oscars with shit hosts like this every year.”
“Mocking your bad performance while giving it is a pretty lazy way to quasi-insulate yourself from criticism without actually being any good.” — The Hill‘s Sam Baker.
“Slay me. Please, not this. I just put my kid to bed and you know I can’t listen to this song without singing along at the top of my lungs.” — Washingtonian‘s Kate Bennett.
“Can we have the entire Oscars be a shot of Samuel Jackson not laughing at Seth McFarlane?” — TPM‘s Benjy Sarlin.
And now, a delusional remark... “This would be funnier if he brought out Eric Cantor and John Boehner to do a soft shoe. #oscars” — Mother Jones Washington Bureau Chief and MSNBC Contributor David Corn.
On sex, boobs, etc…“No snark intended, but aren’t the Oscars supposed to be a family-friendly broadcast? This one is full of sex, orgy and boobs talk. Weird.” — Brad Phillips, of Mr. Media Training Blog.
“I may be only 25, but I already miss Billy Crystal putting himself into the years biggest movies at the #Oscars.” — FNC’s Peter Doocy.
Eddie Scarry contributed to this report.
- FishbowlDC Has Nothing to Do With This Ridiculous New Show
- FBDC's Most Popular Stories of 2013
- This Day in FishbowlDC History
- Thanksgiving is Over -Thank God