A number of you have written in confused about how Rajiv Chandrasekaran’s recent promotion affects the Washington Post’s National Desk. To help you out, here’s the pecking order, in order of rank:
1. Susan Glasser, AME/National
2. Bill Hamilton (National politics editor) and Rajiv Chandrasekaran (National Editor). Rajiv will oversee all other national coverage more generally, including national security, Supreme Court, science, the Post’s bureaus, etc.
3. Tim Curran (National politics editor) and a half dozen other assignment editors.
4. Lowly reporters.
What’s the difference between Tim and Bill? Curran has the same job that John Harris had before he left last winter. Curran is responsible for running the coverage day in and day out (assigning and editing political stories). Hamilton is a rank above Tim and oversees politics coverage more generally, focusing broadly on enterprise, deeper stories, longer-term planning, etc.
- WaPo Partnering With The Texas Tribune
- Boston Globe’s Stephen Heuser to Lead Politico’s New Policy Project
- Pulitzer Winner And WaPo Photojournalist, Michel du Cille, Dies At 58
- #FreeJason Update: Imprisonment Taking 'Fearsome Toll' On WaPo Reporter