Two days after proposing that some people will have to pay a premium to get certain news first, the Associated Press‘s CEO Tom Curley spoke more about charging third parties for access to his organization’s content at a presentation in Beijing on Friday.
According to the AP report, Curley said content creators like the AP have been slow to react to the growing popularity of third party aggregators, which are presumably draining revenue from the contents’ creators. “We will no longer tolerate the disconnect between people who devote themselves — at great human and economic cost — to gathering news of public interest and those who profit from it without supporting it,” he said.
However, when we think of aggregators we think Google, The Huffington Post and blogs. Curley mentioned Wikipedia, YouTube and Facebook as “preferred consumer destinations for breaking news,” although they are consumer generated and typically don’t generate revenue for those posting the stories. When was the last time you made money off a link you posted to Facebook? It’s unclear how the AP will enact what Curley described as a push to “quickly and decisively act to take back control of our content.”
Meanwhile, News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch was also speaking in Beijing today, warning that “aggregators and plagiarists” will soon be held accountable for the content they are co-opting from the original creators. It’s an idea that has been swirling around since the AP announced the creation of their news registry earlier this year.
We wonder: under the plans yet to be proposed by Curley and Murdoch, would we have been able to write this post without paying up?
Read the full text of Curley’s speech here.
AP, News Corp bosses tell search engines to pay up –Associated Press
- Greg Coleman Talks BuzzFeed
- Arianna Huffington: 'I'm 64-Years-Old and I've Never Had Plastic Surgery'
- Harper's Publisher Doesn't Mind 'Weblogs,' Still Hates Internet
- Mark Aldam, President of Hearst Newspapers on the Future of Print