FishbowlNY’s friend Tonya Garcia, from PRNewser, attended the New York Press Club event at CUNY’s Graduate School of Journalism last night, and Bill Keller was one of the featured speakers. Garcia was kind enough to forward us some of his comments, and below are some highlights, followed by what he really meant.
- On fluff in journalism: “I don’t know how many times I’ve urged reporters and editors to get to the goddamn point.” Most writers think they’re smarter than they actually are.
- On Frank Rich leaving: “He’s been restless for awhile.” I’ve already contacted Sly Stallone about going on a mission to bring him back.
- On if The New York Times is considering something like Wikileaks: “How do you make sure the information hasn’t been massaged?” I have to be honest, I think Assange’s hair is absolutely fantastic.
- On Fox News: “If you’re a regular viewer of Fox News, you’re one of the most cynical people on planet Earth.” If you’re a regular viewer of Fox News, you’re one of the most cynical people on planet Earth.
- Vice's Correspondent Confidential Reveals Journalists' Untold Stories
- Time Inc.'s New Chief Content Officer on Native Advertising and TMZ
- Norman Pearlstine on Why Editors Should Report to the Business Side
- PR and Media Pros Gather for AirPR and talkTech Happy Hour