— DIANE CLEHANE
We missed Michael Douglas by a day. Oh well, there was enough going on with the usual suspects in the Michael’s dining room that we barely had time to eat. After making the rounds to check in with the regulars, I saw that Sopranos creator David Chase had slipped in practically unnoticed. What really caught my eye was the downright miserable expression on Chase’s face. Does this guy ever smile? Apparently not. One insider told me, “Chase is a guy that has a pretty dark view of life. How else could he have come up with Tony Soprano?” We’ve heard of method acting, but method living? Whatever works, I guess.
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
4. Kathy Lacey — making the scene two days in a row!
6. Tony Hoyt (Long time no see!) with his doppelganger son Bobby, who brought his lovely girlfriend, Tracey. The boys told me they’re gearing up to play in a father-son golf tournament out on Long Island at the Meadowbrook Country club this Sunday. Sounds like a great way to spend Father’s Day to us.
14. Dateline NBC‘s David Corvo
15. My pal Lisa Linden with Alan Ginsberg, chairman of TechCity, who, we’re told is also known as the ‘King of Kingston.’ A little birdie told me Alan earned the accolade by developing over a million square feet of commercial real estate in the city devoted to technology for sustainable energy. Just thought you’d like to know…
16. Nick Verbitsky and three other distinguished looking gents.
17. Marvel Enterprise’s Sarabeth Shrager
18. Money talks: The always dapper Randy Jones, who was nice enough to introduce me to Richard Bradley, Worth‘s editor-in-chief. Richard tells me Worth nabbed top honors from the Society of Publication Designers as the best magazine redesign of 2009 beating out Maxim, Tennis, and The New York Times Magazine. It’s been about a year since the team at Sandow Media gave Worth a fresh, more user-friendly look and feel. Congrats!
20. Uber agent Rob Weisbach
21. Quest‘s Chris Meigher
22. Jeffrey Tarrant
23. Stephens Inc.’s Bob Towbin
24. Wired‘s Howard Mittman
26. The Today show’s Judy Gordon
27. My former TV Guide colleague, Max Robbins, who is now executive director of industry programs for the Paley Center, with MPA’s Howard Polskin and Abu Dhabi Media Company’s Danielle Perissi. Nice to meet you both!
28. OTX founder Shelley Zalis
Faces in the crowd: WWD‘s executive beauty editor Pete Born in the Garden Room… A trio of gents from RCA Music — Bill Burrs (who in a past life did stand-up comedy), Jeff Gilles and David Dyer — talking wine with Michael’s sommelier Seth Liebman while grabbing a quick bite at the bar.
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro Dot com and lunch at mediabistro DOT com.
- Outlander Author Diana Gabaldon on Writing Best Sellers and Playing Nice With Hollywood
- Fern Mallis and One Criminally Dressed Designer | Dishing With a Global Ambassador
- The Media Mob Featuring Bob Barnett and Jack Kliger | Disney's Fabulous New Foodie
- Exclusive: David Zinczenko on AMI's New Deal | Ousted Obama Insider Turns Heads