— DIANE CLEHANE
The biblical rain kept most of the moguls and media mavens away today. So, rather than people watch, I passed the time by flipping through the latest issue of Avenue featuring an ultra-glam Katie Couric on the cover. The glossy devotes eight (!) pages to the CBS Evening News anchor and photographed her dripping in diamonds and sporting gowns by red carpet favorites Alberta Ferretti and Monique Lhuiller. Interviewed by Law & Order SVU‘s Mariska Hargitay, Katie says, “Looking sexy is not my goal when I’m at work.” Obviously, it’s a different story when she’s not sitting behind the anchor desk.
I lunched today with my longtime pal Trica Jean-Baptiste, who is the principal of her own public relations firm specializing in the travel and tourism industries. We met years ago through New York Women in Communications (NYWICI) where she served on the board. Trica brought along another NYWICI member, Ross Ellis, who works on the organization’s tireless Matrix committee. We all agreed that Brian Williams will be a fabulous host for next year’s Matrix Awards. Remember Rosie O’Donnell‘s disastrous expletive-fueled turn at hosting a few years back? We’ll never forget it — and we’ve tried. Besides working on Matrix, Ross helms the not-for-profit group, Love Our Children USA, which works to end abuse and educate families about stopping violence against children. The organization has been going strong for eleven years and Ross, who was an abused child herself, has garnered the support of an impressive roster of celebrities including Bette Midler and Elton John. Both have donated great items for the group’s online auction going on right now at charityfolks.com. (Get your bids in soon, because it ends Friday.) These days, Ross is hard at work on next year’s National Love Our Children Day which is scheduled for April 10. Mark your calendars!
Here’s the rundown on today’s crowd:
3. ‘Mayor’ Joe Armstrong and HarperCollins’ publisher Jonathan Burnham. I couldn’t wait to get some dish-y morsel about Sarah Palin‘s new book Going Rogue due November 17. “What was the most surprising thing about working with her?” I asked. Jon deferred with a wry smile saying, “My lips are sealed.” I guess we’re going to have to wait for her appearance on Oprah the day before the book is released for the scoop. Here’s hoping the former governor includes a Wednesday lunch at Michael’s on her itinerary for what’s sure to be a whirlwind media tour.
5. Stan Shuman and another distinguished gent
6. Former New York City Council president Andrew Stein, presiding over a table full of suits.
8. Alice Norris didn’t have to deal with today’s messy commute because she lives right upstairs!
9. My friend Bettina Zilkha, who writes for Avenue and is a contributing editor for Elle Decor.
11. Literary lioness Esther Newberg who is rooting against the Yankees!
12. 48 Hours’ Mystery executive producer Susan Zirinsky
15. Conde Nast’s David Carey who seemed to be in a bit of a hurry.
17. Esquire‘s publisher Kevin O’Malley
19. Charlie Rose and a pretty young gal no one seemed to know. Charlie gets some props for being the most easygoing A-lister of the afternoon. Having scored Table One last week, the PBS host arrived without a reservation today and was happy “to sit anywhere.” See, power is where you find it.
20. Fab fashionista Mickey Ateyeh (loved the coat!)
21. Parade‘s Ira Yoffe said he’s crossing his fingers this blasted rain stops because he’s got great seats for tonight’s game.
22. Chanel’s John Galantic
27. Harper‘s Peter Kendall with, we’re told, “some people from Toyota.”
28. Christine Gordon
29. Sotheby’s Debrah Robinson
Faces in the Crowd: Coty’s Catherine Walsh, fresh off receiving her ‘Star’ award from Fashion Group International at last week’s Night of Stars. Catherine had a coterie of stars on hand that night to help her celebrate including Gwen Stefani and Eva Mendes… Kira Semler and Vi Huse, who were in for their monthly champagne lunch at the bar. Vi tells me she’s a grandmother now. The family welcomed a bouncing baby boy, Mason, on the lucky birthday of 9-9-09. Congrats!
Please send comments and corrections to DianeClehane AT mediabistro Dot com and lunch at mediabistro DOT com.
- Bravo 'Newlyweds' Alaska and Kim Dish on Reality TV Instafame
- David Zinczenko on His New 'High-Profile Life' and the Real Story Behind His Leaving Rodale
- Isabella Rossellini's Animal Instincts
- Harvey Weinstein, Ali MacGraw and the Brains Behind Coffee With Tim Cook