FishbowlDC TVNewser TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser GalleyCat SocialTimes

Posts Tagged ‘CNN’

Don Lemon Dominated 2014

No media personality conquered 2014 quite like CNN’s Don Lemon. The 48-year-old co-host of CNN Tonight kept popping up in the biggest news stories of the year for all the wrong reasons. He repeatedly said the most wrong/offensive/inane thing possible.

Lemon f*cked up with such persistence and perfection that it seemed like it was his super power. In honor of Lemon’s amazingness, below are some of his best moments. Needless to say, we’re looking forward to 2015.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Middle Grade Novel Writing

Middle Grade Novel WritingStarting January 15, work with a literary agent to write your middle-grade novel! In this course, you'll learn how to develop strong characters, write compelling dialogue, master the art of revision, and market your work to publishing houses and agents. Register now!

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony to Release The Interview | Disney, DirecTV Strike Deal

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Sony Backtracks, Will Release The Interview After All (PRNewser)
We all got our wish: The Interview will be available in limited release on Christmas Day. NYT The development gave new life to a film that Sony had pulled from distribution last week, after hackers threatened violence against any theater that played it. Sony also left open the door to video-on-demand availability of the movie, either simultaneously with its debut in theaters, or nearly so. THR Theaters showing The Interview are expected to put added security measures in place. Sony, though, isn’t planning to assist the theaters with added security, leaving it up to theater owners to foot the bill, per normal practice, insiders say. Variety The White House has issued a strong statement of support for Sony Pictures’ decision to release the film on Christmas Day. GalleyCat The PEN American Center sent a letter addressed to the CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment, Michael Lynton, to protest against Sony’s censorship of the film last week. The organization has posted the full piece on its website. FishbowlDC A petition titled ”We the undersigned support Sony” also emerged in which backers claimed to ”support theatrical engagements of The Interview should Sony, at its sole discretion, decide to release it to theaters.”

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Columbia to Review UVA Rape Story | TWC-Comcast Merger Halted

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Rolling Stone Asks Columbia to Investigate Botched UVA Rape Story (FishbowlNY)
Rolling Stone has asked Columbia University to figure out just how badly it botched its UVA rape story. Capital New York The Columbia Graduate School of Journalism will conduct an independent investigation into the reporting process of Sabrina Rubin Erdely’s feature on sexual assault at the University of Virginia. HuffPost Rolling Stone apologized on Dec. 5 after several news organizations revealed problems in contributing editor Erdely’s article. However, the magazine has not fully retracted the story. Since the apology, Rolling Stone editors and Erdely have declined to comment on the article, citing an internal review process. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media The Washington Post and other publications have been re-reporting the events described in the piece and have found several striking inconsistencies, including that several people quoted in the article were never actually contacted by the magazine and that the accused rapists were also never contacted. NYT Jann Wenner, Rolling Stone’s editor and publisher, said that the review would be led by Steve Coll, the journalism school’s dean, and Sheila Coronel, the dean of academic affairs, and that it would evaluate “the editorial process that led to the publication of the story.” The report will be published unedited and in its entirety on Rolling Stone’s website, and excerpts will appear in the magazine.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Hackers Applaud Sony | Fox News, FBN Pulled From Dish

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Hackers to Sony: We’ll Stand Down if You Never Release Movie (CNN)
The hackers behind a devastating cyberattack at Sony Pictures have sent a new message to executives at the company, crediting them for a “very wise” decision to cancel the Christmas day release of The Interview, a source close to the company said. TVNewser The emails, sent Thursday night, included the message “you’ve done the right thing.” The emails suggested information stolen during the hack could be released if Sony fails to ensure that the film is never seen. Re/code In an interview on NBC’s Meet The Press Sunday, David Boies, the studio’s lawyer, said The Interview will be released. “Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed. It will be distributed,” he told NBC’s Chuck Todd, adding the studio is still trying to determine the best distribution outlet that would also ensure people’s safety. THR / AP North Korea on Saturday proposed a joint investigation with the U.S. into the hacking attack, warning of “serious” consequences if Washington rejects a probe that it believes would prove Pyongyang had nothing to do with the cyberattack. The proposal was seen by analysts as a typical ploy by the North to try to show that it is sincere, even though it knows the U.S. would never accept its offer for a joint investigation. U.S. officials blame North Korea for the hacking, citing the tools used in the Sony attack and previous hacks linked to the North, and have vowed to respond. TMZ According to sources connected with the studio, Judy Smith — the inspiration behind the Olivia Pope character on Scandal – has been quietly advising Sony Pictures chief Amy Pascal.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony Pulls The Interview | 21st Century Fox Acquires TrueX

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

9/11 Threats From Sony Hackers Cause Company to Drop The Interview (FishbowlNY)
In light of the recent threats of violence from those responsible for the ongoing cyber attacks against Sony Pictures (aka the “Guardians of Peace”), the company has decided to pull the plug on Seth Rogen and James Franco‘s latest movie, The Interview. The film was scheduled to premiere nationwide on Christmas day. PRNewser Tuesday, the hackers’ threats turned to violence, invoking 9/11 and implying that someone would attack theaters screening The Interview. The movie’s planned New York premiere was subsequently cancelled. Rogen and Franco also cancelled all further press dates. Time American officials have determined the government of North Korea is connected to the hack, a U.S. official confirmed Wednesday. Much remains unclear about the nature of North Korea’s involvement. The country, while lauding the hack against Sony, has denied being behind it. There were conflicting reports Wednesday evening, and officials are expected to unveil their findings Thursday. THR Sony decided to pull The Interview from all theaters Wednesday in response to the decision by the country’s major chains not to show the film. The country’s top five theater chains — Regal Entertainment, AMC Entertainment, Cinemark, Carmike Cinemas and Cineplex Entertainment — chose to pull The Interview from their theaters Wednesday. Variety Sony is weighing releasing the film on premium video-on-demand, according to an insider. That would allow the studio to recoup some of the film’s $42 million budget and tens of millions in promotion and advertising expenditures. It would also enable the studio to experiment with the potential of VOD, something it has been hesitant to do at the risk of angering major exhibitors. TheWrap Wednesday, New Regency pulled the plug on its Steve Carell movie Pyongyang, which Gore Verbinski had been prepping for a March start date. Based on the graphic novel by Guy Delisle, Pyongyang is a paranoid thriller about a Westerner’s experiences working in North Korea for a year.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Hackers Threaten Violence Over Interview | NYT Layoffs Begin

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Sony Hackers Threaten Violence Over The Interview (Re/code)
A new message from the hackers who have infiltrated Sony Pictures Entertainment appeared to threaten violence at or near movie theaters where the studio plans to show The Interview. The group mentioned the film for the first time by name and threatened to take unspecified actions against its premiere, set for Dec. 25, writing, “The world will be full of fear” and “Remember the 11th of September.” WSJ A Department of Homeland Security official said Tuesday afternoon the agency was aware of the threat but added: “at this time there is no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theaters within the United States.” Variety “We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.) Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment,” the message reads. There have been suspicions that the attack may have been launched by North Korea in retaliation for the Interview’s depiction of an assassination attempt on Kim Jong-un. The country has denied involvement but praised the attacks. THR The Sony hackers also made good on their promise to release a so-called Christmas gift by posting an eighth batch of documents to the Internet on Tuesday. The documents appear to be the entire email account of Sony Pictures Entertainment chairman and CEO Michael Lynton. Lynton’s email account contains 12,466 messages, which presumably contains deleted messages, dating from Nov. 12, 2008 to Nov. 21, 2014, three days before the hack was first noticed by the studio. A special screening of the film took place in Los Angeles last week without incident. Deadline Landmark Theatres said Tuesday night that the New York premiere of the film has been canceled. The event was set for Thursday night at the Sunshine Cinema on the Lower East Side. BuzzFeed The film’s stars, Seth Rogen and James Franco, have withdrawn from all media appearances in the lead-up to the release of the film.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony Demands News Orgs. Delete Data | Denby to Step Down

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Sony Pictures Demands News Agencies Delete ‘Stolen’ Data (NYT)
Sony Pictures Entertainment warned media outlets on Sunday against using the mountains of corporate data revealed by hackers who raided the studio’s computer systems in an attack that became public last month. THR Sony Pictures Entertainment lawyer David Boies sent a letter to news organizations Sunday, referring to leaked Sony documents as “stolen information” and demanded that the files be ignored, or destroyed if they had already been downloaded. “We are writing to ensure that you are aware that SPE does not consent to your possession, review, copying, dissemination, publication, uploading, downloading or making any use of the stolen information, and to request your cooperation in destroying the stolen information,” the letter reads. Variety The security breach and subsequent data dump has made public such internal financial documents as film budgets, earnings statements and emails from top Sony executives. It’s also resulted in a series of embarrassing revelations such as an email exchange between Sony Pictures Entertainment co-chair Amy Pascal and producer Scott Rudin in which the two made a series of racially charged jokes about President Barack Obama’s favorite movies. Both Rudin and Pascal have since apologized. Deadline The Sony information continues to be released in batches from unknown sources, including one Sunday in an email to news organizations that included a link to more information cached in online sites and promised an unspecified “Christmas gift” to come. Re/code A group claiming responsibility for the devastating hacking attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment on Sunday offered to selectively hold back on releasing email correspondence of its employees, provided that they write in and ask. The offer, apparently from the Guardians of Peace, a group that says it has carried out the attacks, marks a new twist in its ongoing campaign of embarrassing leaks of data stolen from the studio’s computers, now entering its third week.

Read more

A Howler of a New York Times Correction

ShutterstockdoghowlBow Wow Ow!

In what stands, at this late calendar-year stage, as an instant frontrunner for New York Times Correction of the Year, the following note has been added to Rick Gladstone‘s December 12 piece suggesting that Pope Francis hinted well-behaved dogs were perhaps bounding past the Pearly Gates:

Correction: December 12, 2014

An earlier version of this article misstated the circumstances of Pope Francis’ remarks. He made them in a general audience at the Vatican, not in consoling a distraught boy whose dog had died. The article also misstated what Francis is known to have said. According to Vatican Radio, Francis said: “The Holy Scripture teaches us that the fulfillment of this wonderful design also affects everything around us,” which was interpreted to mean he believes animals go to heaven. Francis is not known to have said: “One day, we will see our animals again in the eternity of Christ. Paradise is open to all of God’s creatures.” (Those remarks were once made by Pope Paul VI to a distraught child, and were cited in a Corriere della Sera article that concluded Francis believes animals go to heaven.) An earlier version also referred incompletely to the largest animal protection group in the United States. It is the Humane Society of the United States, not just the Humane Society.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Winkler Out at Bloomberg | Ebola Fighters Are Time PoTY

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Matt Winkler Steps Down at Bloomberg News (FishbowlNY)
More changes at Bloomberg News, this time involving veteran editor-in-chief Matt Winkler, who is stepping down. Winkler has been editor of Bloomberg News for the past 24 years. Capital New York John Micklethwait, editor-in-chief of The Economist, will succeed Winkler, who co-founded the news service with Michael Bloomberg back in 1990. Micklethwait has edited The Economist since 2006. He will leave the company at the end of January. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media The Economist is now searching for a replacement for Micklethwait, who joined the mag in 1987, a process that will very likely take several weeks. NYT On Tuesday, Bloomberg News named Winkler an editor-in-chief emeritus. One executive at Bloomberg, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said the change was a year in the making, but had accelerated since Bloomberg’s return to the company in September. Another Bloomberg executive said it was very much a joint decision based on the need for a cultural change in the news division, and that Bloomberg and Winkler remained close. HuffPost As editor-in-chief emeritus, Winkler will work with Bloomberg “on strategic initiatives, conducting high-profile interviews of global newsmakers and bringing his insights and expertise to the most important and market-moving stories.” Micklethwait will oversee editorial “across all Bloomberg platforms, including its news, newsletters, magazines, opinion, television, radio and digital properties,” according to a release. Bloomberg Media Group CEO Justin Smith, who is overseeing new consumer-facing sites for the company, like Bloomberg Politics, will continue reporting to Michael Bloomberg.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Sony Hackers Make Demands | Pulitzer Prizes Expand Eligibility

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Sony Hackers Leak New Documents, Call for The Interview to Be Pulled (THR)
For the first time since Sony Pictures was hacked two weeks ago, the group behind the massive breach appears to making its demands known to the public. The group calling itself Guardians of Peace (GOP) posted the following message on Monday: “Stop immediately showing the movie of terrorism which can break the regional peace and cause the War!” Variety GOP did not specifically identify the movie. Authorities have been investigating whether the hacker attack is in some way be connected to The Interview, the movie that has generated condemnation from the government of North Korea. The message from GOP said that they “have given our clear demand to the management team of Sony, however they have refused…You, SONY, & FBI, cannot find us.” WSJ / Digits Representatives for the studio have said Sony Pictures leaders have not received any demands from the hacking group. Further muddying the situation, the letter received on Monday also claimed that the hacking group was not responsible for a letter received by Sony Pictures employees Friday that threatened them and their families. “We know nothing about the threatening email received by Sony staffers, but you should wisely judge by yourself why such things are happening and who is responsible for it,” it said. Re/code North Korea has denied any connection with the devastating attack on the studio, but in a statement issued Sunday by the Korean Central News Agency, the country called the attack a “righteous deed.” Sony Pictures suffered one of the worst cyber attacks in recent memory after intruders claim to have made off with as much as 100 terabytes of internal information including salaries, social security numbers, passwords, sales plans and four unreleased feature films. THR Sony employees will be briefed by the FBI over the attack on the studio, Sony Pictures Entertainment chief Michael Lynton told staff in a memo. He also revealed the FBI had created an email address dedicated to the case, to which employees could send information. Lynton also announced there would be an all-hands meeting on Friday to discuss the issue.

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>