FishbowlDC TVNewser TVSpy LostRemote AgencySpy PRNewser GalleyCat SocialTimes

Posts Tagged ‘Washington Post’

Morning Media Newsfeed: White House Talks Sony Attack | Abrams to Leave Nightline

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

White House Approaching Sony Hack as ‘National Security Issue’ (THR)
During a press briefing in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said that the hacking of Sony’s internal computer system has become a “national security issue” involving federal law enforcement and diplomatic personnel. Earnest also confirmed revelations from the latest batch of internal Sony emails released by the hackers that two members of the administration had screened “a rough cut” of The Interview – the impending release of which may have prompted the attack — at Sony’s request, but Earnest said Thursday that they had made no recommendations about changes or how to proceed. Time Earnest said there have been a number of daily meetings at the White House about the hack, and that there are “a range of options that are under consideration right now” for a response. Earnest would not rule out a U.S. cyber counterattack on those behind the Sony hack, saying officials are mindful of the need for a “proportional response.” The Washington Post Public attribution of the attack could come as early as this week, one national security official said. U.S. intelligence officials have concluded that the government of Kim Jong Un is behind the attack. North Korea has publicly denied involvement. The attack came in apparent retaliation for Sony’s planned Christmas Day release of The Interview, a comedy built around the assassination of the North Korean leader. PRNewser The group (or country) behind the massive Sony hack sent out a warning that there would be repercussions for any theater that shows The Interview on its screens. Right away, the largest theater companies, from AMC Entertainment to Regal Entertainment and beyond, said they wouldn’t show the film. So Sony killed the whole thing. The outrage from Hollywood has been fast and furious on Twitter, with many expressing anger and disappointment that there wouldn’t be a bigger stand for freedom of expression. Deadline Sony has no plans to release the film anywhere for the foreseeable future. The news comes despite the lack — at least in public — of the same kind of terrorist threat against Sony’s international operations as was made against the studio’s U.S. release. The Interview had been set to open across all major European territories in January and February. Those plans are now off.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Middle Grade Novel Writing

Middle Grade Novel WritingStarting January 15, work with a literary agent to write your middle-grade novel! In this course, you'll learn how to develop strong characters, write compelling dialogue, master the art of revision, and market your work to publishing houses and agents. Register now!

Journo Profiles and Admires Norman Pearlstine

NormPearlstineTimeIncPicOn Twitter, Washington Post reporter Thomas Heath explains that he writes ‘about how people build businesses.’ In the case of the journalist’s latest feature interview, the more apt verb might be ‘renovate.’

Heath recently sat down with Time Inc. chief content officer Norman Pearlstine (pictured) at Time magazine’s Washington D.C. offices. He follows a wink-wink quote from his interview subject with an intriguing and, given Pearlstine’s age, very accurate observation:

“I’ve been in the business a long time and seen the changes,” says Pearlstine. “I can probably take a little longer view than other people do who are worrying about how many [unique visitors] they had last month or how many page views or something.”

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Gawker Shakes Up Leadership | Guardian EIC to Step Down

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Gawker Makes Leadership Changes (FishbowlNY)
Nick Denton has announced some major changes to the leadership structure at Gawker Media. Instead of Denton having all the oversight, a collective of seven managing partners (including Denton) “will consult on major matters such as tech investments and the reassignment of department heads,” according to a memo. NYT The move was in part because of the company’s editorial failures in the last year. Denton said he would stay on as chief executive and remain involved in the company’s future, but that recent failures in management had shown he needed more support. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media The move, Denton said, was part of an effort to scale back his day-to-day managerial roles and return to blogging, which he called “the only truly new media in the age of the Web” and “the essential act of journalism in an interactive and conversational age.” The move also suggests that Gawker Media may be gearing up for an acquisition or merger of some sort. Denton said that no such activity was afoot. GigaOM The new management structure will make it easier to respond to the increasing competitive threat from sites like BuzzFeed and Vox, Denton said, since decisions will be made by the committee as a whole rather than everyone having to try and get the founder’s attention at the same time. The new group includes former Deadspin editor Tommy Craggs as head of editorial operations, effectively replacing editor-in-chief Joel Johnson, who announced recently that he had been fired. Capital New York The rest of the managing board includes president Heather Dietrick, chief strategy officer Erin Pettigrew, advertising head Andrew Gorenstein, chief operating officer Scott Kidder and chief technology officer Tom Plunkett, who will continue to work on the product side but shed the title of CTO. The memo also mentions that Gawker’s revenues are up 30 percent year-over-year and the company has hired Paul Sundue to head Studio@Gawker, the company’s in-house native advertising agency.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Crowley to Leave CNN | Mass Exodus at TNR, Issue Canned

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Candy Crowley Leaving CNN (TVNewser)
Candy Crowley, a 27-year CNN veteran, is leaving the network. The move was announced in an email from CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker. FishbowlDC Crowley’s career at CNN began in 1987 as a political correspondent, where she covered a handful of successful and unsuccessful presidential campaigns, including those of Pat Buchanan, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Ronald Reagan and Mitt Romney, among others. In 2012, she became the first woman to moderate a presidential debate. THR Crowley currently serves as CNN’s chief political correspondent and anchor of its Sunday morning show State of The Union With Candy Crowley. Staffing has been relatively stable at CNN over the last year. Though the arrival of Zucker marked several departures, politicos James Carville and Mary Matalin among them, other changes have been gradual. Piers Morgan notably left after sinking ratings for his 9 p.m. telecast earlier in 2014. Capital New York Crowley, Zucker wrote, “has let us know that she has made the decision to move on… As difficult as it is for us to imagine CNN without Candy, we know that she comes to this decision thoughtfully, she has our full support,” the email said. The reason for Crowley’s departure was not made clear. Politico / Dylan Byers on Media Zucker did not mention who would replace Crowley on State of The Union. The network will be keeping the show, a spokesperson confirmed.

Read more

The Most Popular FishbowlNY Posts for The Week

StephenMSilvermanTwitterProfilePicHere’s a look at the FishbowlNY posts that made the most buzz this week.

1) People Editor Has a Rough Weekend

2) NY Times Vet Bill Carter Takes Buyout

3) Jed Hartman Leaves Time Inc. for WaPo

4) More NY Times Buyouts

5) Here is Condé Nast Traveler‘s New Logo

Keep up-to-date with the latest FishbowlNY news. Click here to sign up for the FishbowlNY daily newsletter, bringing you our articles each afternoon directly to your inbox.

[Image via: @stephenmsilverm]

Sting Chooses to Ignore Paul Simon’s Broadway Advice

Paul Simon is Sting‘s New York City neighbor. He is also the reason the former Police frontman will only be able to step into the lead role of the Broadway musical The Last Ship starting next week for a month, as the pair are back to touring together early in the new year.

LastShipTease

Ahead of Sting’s Kennedy Center Honor broadcast (December 7) and Broadway debut (December 9), Washington Post theater critic Peter Marks hung out at the Neil Simon Theatre with the supremely talented sexagenarian. Mr. Sumner confessed that this holiday season, he has chosen to sail past some advice given to him by his current concert tour pal:

Simon had his own original musical on Broadway nearly 20 years ago, the tepidly received The Capeman; when Sting talked to him about The Last Ship — which Simon has seen twice — the older songwriter offered him some advice about maintaining distance from the show. “Don’t tie yourself to the front of the train,” Sting quotes Simon as warning.

Read more

Lily Tomlin on the 1975 Time Cover That Never Was

ShutterstockLilyTomlin2014Ahead of this Sunday’s Kennedy Center Honors broadcast, Washington Post film critic Ann Hornaday has shared a wonderful celebration of 2014 honoree Lily Tomlin‘s many talents.

Tomlin explains to Hornaday that she “remembers life in anecdotes.” And so, there are several memorable ones here about the performer’s early days in New York City, shared in full or in snippets. There is also, at one point, a reminder of what would have been an earth-shaking media moment:

Although Tomlin had been pressured over the years to publicly acknowledge her sexual orientation — in 1975 Time magazine offered her the cover if she’d come out — Tomlin always demurred. “I never did not come out,” she explains now.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: North Korea Doesn’t Deny Breach | ABC News Debuts GoStream

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

North Korea Refuses to Deny Sony Pictures Cyber Attack (BBC News)
Sony is investigating after its computers were attacked and unreleased films were made available on the Internet. When asked if it was involved in the attack, a spokesman for the North Korean government replied: “Wait and see.” THR Asked about the cyber attack, a spokesman for North Korea’s U.N. mission told BBC News, “The hostile forces are relating everything to the DPRK [North Korea]. I kindly advise you to just wait and see.” The FBI said on Tuesday that it is currently part of the investigation into the cyber attack. Variety Among other scenarios, Sony Pictures is looking into the possibility that hackers with ties to North Korea were responsible. That is presumed to be retaliation for the studio’s scheduled Dec. 25 release of The Interview, a geopolitical spoof starring James Franco and Seth Rogen, in which the duo are approached by the CIA about assassinating North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un. An unofficial North Korean spokesman decried the film earlier this summer. Mashable A group calling itself GOP (Guardian of Peace) hacked into Sony Pictures Entertainment’s website last week, taking down nearly all of its internal systems with it. Nearly a week later, the fruits of the raid are beginning to trickle out into the public. More than 27GB of documents that appear to be from internal Sony Pictures Entertainment file servers have already been leaked. NYT The documents contained the pre-bonus annual salaries of senior executives, 17 of whom are shown earning more than $1 million a year. The breach exposed two things the secretive movie industry loathes the most — the piracy of films and details about executive compensation — and sent a ripple of dread across Hollywood. On Pastebin, hackers released what they said were “tens of terabytes” of internal Sony data. The post — titled “Gift of G.O.P.” — included links to various data archives which appeared to contain Sony employees’ passwords, Social Security numbers, salaries and performance reviews. The studio has offered to enroll employees in a fraud protection program.  Executives at the entertainment company said they were also making progress in fighting the apparently related Internet pirating of five complete films, including the unreleased Annie.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: 16 Million Watch Ferguson Grand Jury | Orman to Leave CNBC

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

16 Million Tune in to Cable News for Ferguson Grand Jury Announcement (TVNewser)
The news surrounding the grand jury’s decision in the Darren Wilson case gave cable news channels a ratings surge Monday. While the decision had been reached by mid-afternoon, news channels had seven hours to consider the result as it was not announced until the 9 p.m. ET hour, when daytime viewership peaked. Capital New York During the 9 p.m. hour, when the decision was revealed, Fox News averaged 7.26 million total viewers, including 2.19 million adults 25 to 54. CNN averaged 6.26 million total viewers, including 3.16 million adults 25-54, and MSNBC averaged 2.20 million total viewers, including 742,000 adults aged 25 to 54. Mediaite The peak for CNN came not at 9 p.m. when the decision was announced, but instead during the second half of the 10 p.m. hour when the network reached 3.558 million demo viewers. With 7.256 million viewers during the 9 p.m. hour, Fox’s The Kelly File was the overall winner for the night. Variety Both The Kelly File and Hannity scored all-time highs in terms of overall viewers and audience in the advertiser-desired demo of 25 to 54. CNN’s Anderson Cooper was able to trump Fox News’ Megyn Kelly in the 25-to-54 demo at 9 p.m. In late-night viewership, CNN lured more viewers overall and in the demo at both 11 p.m. and midnight, according to Nielsen. THR / The Live Feed Many TV networks chimed in, with some broadcast nets interrupting primetime with President Obama’s remarks on the matter and each of the cable news outlets covering it well into the night. Some segments from the center of the embattled town even got too close, with CNN’s Sara Sidner being hit with a rock on air.

Read more

This NYT Staffer is Spending Thanksgiving in Cuba

There is an additional Twitter journalist account to be aware of this holiday weekend (if you are not already): @londonoe.

That handle belongs to New York Times editorial board member Ernesto Londoño who, for the first time since he was a college student, has traveled to Cuba. The Colombian-born, NYC-based foreign affairs writer – previously covering the Pentagon for the Washington Post – arrived November 22 and is scheduled to be there through the weekend. He has been sharing all sorts of fascinating glimpses of his visit, including this shot of the digital newsroom at Communist newspaper Periódico Granma:

GranmaDigitalNewsroom

Read more

NEXT PAGE >>