Scholastic Book Clubs editorial director David Allender recently shared ten trends that he thinks will dominate children’s books in 2013. Watch the video embedded above for more details, but here are the ten trends, from the release:
1. Bullying is THE Timely Topic in Kids’ Books
2. ’13 Will be a Lucky Number for Science Fiction Fans
3. Intriguing Nonfiction
5. Kid Lit on the Screen
7. Tough Girls
8. Survival Stories
9. Spotlight on Diversity
10. Nature Runs Amok.
Back in 2011, this GalleyCat reporter picked “greek myths” as the dominant trend in teen fiction. In a past interview, two-time Caldecott Medalist Chris Van Allsburg suggested “utopian” books could follow the big wave of dystopian titles.
- A Steampunk Version of 'Wind of the Willows' is on Kickstarter
- Children's Book Art Auction is Running Through December 3rd
- National Book Award Winner Cynthia Kadohata on Self-Editing: "It involves a lot of flailing around."
- Jeff Kinney & Dav Pilkey to Headline 'Story Smashup' Webcast